Formerly Ukiah Blog
The Contrary Farmer
Mendocino Country & Environs
Gene Logsdon (RIP)
The Contrary Farmer
William Edelen (RIP)
The Contrary Minister
POPULAR POST SERIES
Voluntary Exits (Rational Suicide)
Ingersoll - Foundations of Faith
Thom Hartmann - Rebooting
Seven Myths of Industrial Agriculture
Dave Smith ~ Editor/Publisher
...a local history of community character...
The Contrary Musician
Shortcuts To Mastering Piano & Guitar
How Playing an Instrument
Benefits Your Brain
Creating music is a
random act of kindness
- TODD WALTON: Inside Moves Miracles
- IMPEACH TRUMP!
- Freethinker: ‘The Most Hated Woman in America’ — Melissa Leo on the Murder of Atheist Madalyn Murray O’Hair…
- IMPEACH TRUMP!
- IMPEACH TRUMP!
- On Betrayal by the Left: Talking with Ex-Muslim Sarah Haider…
- WILLIAM EDELEN: Ancient Prophecy, Modern Ignorance
- You have two lives…
- IMPEACH TRUMP!
- IMPEACH TRUMP!
- Paul Wegman Taylor on IMPEACH TRUMP!
- Paul Wegman Taylor on TODD WALTON: Inside Moves Miracles
- ds on TODD WALTON: Inside Moves Miracles
- Chris Highland on Freethinker: Ingersoll’s Vow…
- Paul Wegman Taylor on IMPEACH TRUMP!
- Albert Krauss on You have two lives…
- db on WILLIAM EDELEN: Ancient Prophecy, Modern Ignorance
- Paul Wegman Taylor on Chris Hedges Delivers the Ultimate Trump Takedown…
- Paul Wegman Taylor on Chris Hedges Delivers the Ultimate Trump Takedown…
- Paul Wegman Taylor on Impeach Trump!
Independent News & Blog Feeds
- PollinationWith bee populations in decline worldwide and the so-called civilized world in no hurry to eliminate the known causes of these precipitous declines, more and more flowers are going unvisited by those faithful little pollinators.
- Mendocino County Today: Wednesday, March 22, 2017Betty Pronsolino; Silty River; Harecreek Debate; Casting Call; Millsite Tours; Little Dog; Happiness; Courthouse Boondoggle; KZYX Coverage; Harrelsons; Albion Bridges; Housing Development; Willits Courthouse; Police Reports; Yesterday's Catch; Contemplative; American Degradation; Care-a-Van Boonville; Art Academy; Sako Effect; Floodgate Farm; Bidding Wo […]
- Fort Bragg P.O. Bans WrightA minor kerfuffle occurred at the Post Office in Fort Bragg late Monday afternoon, when long-time critic of KZYX board malfeasance, general activist, and crusader against public wrongdoing, Jeff Wright, was arrested while attempting to address an issue with the Post Office staff that he feels is unjust. Apparently, Mr. Wright was collecting his mail […]
- Salmon Runs Crash, North Coast Fisheries ClosedWith record low runs forecasted, the commercial and recreational ocean Chinook salmon fishing seasons in the Klamath Management Zone (KMZ) from Southern Oregon to north of Shelter Cove will be closed this season. The in-river Klamath tribal fishery will also be heavily restricted, with the Yurok and Hoopa Valley tribes sharing allocations that only number [… […]
- Is It Age Discrimination If You Don’t Know You’re Being Discriminated Against?by Peter Gosselin For the past half century, federal law has banned employers from discriminating against people based on their age. But since the early 1990s, corporate lawyers and conservative judges have sought to shrink what counts as discrimination, making it substantially harder to prove age bias. Now, a case possibly headed for the Supreme Court could […]
- We Fact-Checked Lawmakers’ Letters to Constituents on Health Careby Charles Ornstein This story was co-published with Kaiser Health News, Stat and Vox. Updated (Mar. 22, 2017): This story was updated to include a response from the office of Rep. Derek Kilmer, D-Wash. When Louisiana resident Andrea Mongler wrote to her senator, Bill Cassidy, in support of the Affordable Care Act, she wasn’t surprised to get an email back d […]
- Connecticut Lawmaker to Consider Legislation to Improve Domestic Violence Enforcementby Sarah Smith A Connecticut lawmaker today is set to convene a panel of experts and law enforcement officials to explore ways of reducing the state’s rate of dual arrests in cases of domestic violence, outcomes where both alleged abusers and victims wind up taken to jail and charged. ProPublica reported earlier this year that Connecticut’s rate of dual arre […]
- Why AnyShare is the First ‘Complete’ Cooperative in the USAnyShare has bold plans to help the world. By creating a multi-stakeholder platform cooperative, the Arizona-based organization wants to support local exchange groups and sharing communities. The post Why AnyShare is the First ‘Complete’ Cooperative in the US appeared first on Resilience.
- A How-To Manual For Growing A CommunityIn the small township of Port Medway on Nova Scotia’s South Shore, Annabelle Singleton and Debra Melanson, their husbands, and their staff have made The Port Grocer into the heart of the community. The post A How-To Manual For Growing A Community appeared first on Resilience.
- Where They Teach Students How to Revitalize Their Local CommunitiesSearching for ways to reconnect and renew, a non-profit organization called the Community Learning Partnership is providing students, instructors, and community groups a model for preparing the next generation of local leaders and activists. The post Where They Teach Students How to Revitalize Their Local Communities appeared first on Resilience.
- The Measure of All Things: How Two French Astronomers Nearly Lost Their Lives Revolutionizing the World with the Invention of the Meter"The fundamental fallacy of utopianism is to assume that everyone wants to live in the same utopia."
- Beloved Artist Agnes Martin on Our Greatest Obstacle to Happiness and How to Transcend It"No-one knows what your life or life itself should be because it is in the process of being created. Life moves according to a growing consciousness of life and is completely unpredictable."
- How Should We Then Live? The philosophy of Arthur Schopenhauer, which we’ve been discussing for several weeks now, isn’t usually approached from the angle by which I’ve been approaching it—that is, as a way to talk about the gap between what we think we know about the world and what we actually know about it. The aspect of his work that usually gets all the publicity is the ethical […]
- The Magic Lantern ShowThe philosophy of Arthur Schopenhauer, which we’ve been discussing for the last three weeks, was enormously influential in European intellectual circles from the last quarter of the nineteenth century straight through to the Second World War. That doesn’t mean that it influenced philosophers; by and large, in fact, the philosophers ignored Schopenhauer comp […]
- Khomeini v. RushdieMany people are under the spell of historicism when they tell us that for the Arabic world is it “too early” to expect liberal democracy.
- Dutch Treat: Betsy DeVos and the Christian Schools MovementDeVos happens to be the public face of what has long been a quiet but very powerful drive for taxpayer-supported religious schooling.
- An Atheist Group’s Adopt-a-Highway Signs, Just Outside the Creation Museum, Have Been VandalizedAn atheist group's Adopt-a-Highway sign was vandalized recently. Is it just a coincidence that the road they've volunteered to clean includes the entrance to the Creation Museum?
- ACLU and FFRF File Appeal to Stop Indiana School’s “Still-Life” Nativity Scene in Holiday ConcertAs it stands, an Indiana school district is allowed to include a mannequin-laden Nativity scene during the holiday concert. Church/state separation groups are trying to put a stop to that.
- 28 States Have An Entirely Christian Congressional Delegation (And Other Depressing Facts)We already know there's no openly atheist representation in Congress. The Secular Caucus on Capitol Hill has a single member -- Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) -- and she adamantly disavows the "atheist" label.But were you aware of just how skewed the religious representation was when you looked state-by-state?
- Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles Approves “ATHE1ST” License Plate After ACLU Threatens LitigationAn Indiana man finally received his "ATHE1ST" license plate from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles after getting a baseless rejection letter a few weeks ago. It just took a threat from the ACLU and plenty of media attention.
- Dr. Gwyneth Paltrow Now Hocking Magic Vitamins For a Condition That Doesn’t ExistThe vitamins were developed with the help of Dr. Alejandro Junger, the kind of guy who appears on Dr. Oz all the time and thinks cleanses cure pretty much everything.
- Another Reason Christians Are Boycotting Beauty and the Beast: The Beast Looks Like SatanIt's a good thing Makeup Jesus gave the Beast those horns or else Christians would've seen this film and only taken away the message that we should love people for what's on the inside! Can't have that now, can we?
- How to Talk with Your Kid about Abortion—Especially Your AbortionIn coming decades, better birth control like long-acting IUDs and implants may make elective abortion virtually obsolete. But for now, unsought pregnancy is still painfully common; over a million American women have an abortion each year. Women end pregnancies for … Continue reading →
- Confront Abortion Protestors with Bible VersesIt’s time to confront conception obsessed Bible-believers on their own terms, with language they understand. Imagine if anti-abortion protestors found themselves confronted with the Bible and Christianity’s highest values. At regular intervals throughout the year, the most conception-obsessed members of the Religious … Continue reading →
- Donald Trump’s Promise to “Destroy” the Law Restricting Churches’ Powers Is His Next Threat to Democracy and EqualityBy Adi Chowdhury “Trust me, the repeal of the Johnson amendment will create a huge revolution for conservative Christians and for free speech.” These words were uttered by Jerry Falwell Jr., the president of the notoriously pseudo-scientific and evangelical Liberty University . Falwell is an avid advocate for creationism and has amassed quite… Continue r […]
- The United Nations Must Strengthen Its Efforts for Defending Same-Sex MarriageBy Adi Chowdhury “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights…Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.” … Continue reading The U […]
- Evangelical Churn: A Tidal Wave of False Reasons.Sometimes we're surrounded by something before we realize just how much of it there is. That happened to me today: I suddenly noticed just how many Christians there are who have firm ideas about why people--especially younger people--are leaving their churches. Those ideas tend to run along one of two lines, and both of those lines are totally wrong.
- Lord Snow Presides #3: The Backlash Against the Internet Begins in Earnest.I've seen pastors try off and on to stop their congregants from accessing the internet, but this new book that just came out, What Falls from the Sky, really takes the cake on that score.
- Can You Choose NOT to Believe?I try not to get sucked into too many arguments about religion in my friends’ social media spaces because I never know how personally their friends and relatives will take the discussion. Arguing in the comment section of a blog or on Reddit is one thing, but when you’re on people’s Facebook walls you may be crossing [Read More...]
- Losing Your Religion and Finding Yourself AgainI’m gonna level with you. I’ve been struggling lately. Most days I do my best to look at the big picture, to take the high road, and to find the longest view of religion I can manage despite the baggage I’ve accumulated from my years within the walls of the church (plus the years that [Read More...]
- Faith-healing bill dies in Idaho SenateBy Associated Press BOISE, Idaho (AP) — BOISE, Idaho (AP) – The Idaho Senate has spiked a proposal seeking to tweak the state’s laws allowing families to cite religious reasons for medical decisions without fear of being charged with neglect or abuse. The proposal would have only amended Idaho’s civil laws to make it easier for judges to get involved in fait […]
- This May Be Our Best Idea of What a Dinosaur Really Looked LikeBy Jason Bittel Picture a red-headed woodpecker crossed with a tiny velociraptor, and you have a good mental image of Anchiornis, a foot-high dinosaur that hails from the Late Jurassic. That’s the conclusion of scientists who examined nine specimens of this ancient animal, lighting up its previously invisible soft tissues with high-powered lasers so they cou […]
- Reality and the ImaginationIn this episode of the Waking Up podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Yuval Noah Harari about meditation, the need for stories, the power of technology to erase the boundary between fact and fiction, wealth inequality, the problem of finding meaning in a world without work, religion as a virtual reality game, the difference between pain and suffering, the future […]
- Meaning and ChaosIn this episode of the Waking Up podcast, Sam Harris and Jordan Peterson discuss science, religion, archetypes, mythology, and the perennial problem of finding meaning in life.
- The speeches of Marcus AureliusWe are all familiar with Marcus Aurelius’ Meditations, one of the most famous books of practical philosophy of all ages. But did you know that we also have three speeches attributed to Marcus? They are collected in Delphi’s Complete Works of Marcus Aurelius, and it’s worth to take a look even though they only indirectly … Continue reading The speeches of Mar […]
- Stoic advice: I want a child, but I can’t conceive[To submit a question to the Stoic advice column send an email to massimo at howtobeastoic dot org.] N. writes: “I am a 35 year old woman and I would love to start a family. However, despite months of trying I have not conceived and continue to hope that this will happen either naturally or … Continue reading Stoic advice: I want a child, but I can’t conceiv […]
- The loss of my "real" FatherBy fisheroffish ~ My father died last month. Recently, I have been thinking about the irony that losing my real father was somehow easier for me than losing my “heavenly father”. First I want to tell you about my real father and our relationship and then I will get back to this irony.You see, I had a difficult time growing up and it was because of my father. […]
- April Fool!By Carl S ~ You go to the vineyard and sign in at 6 a.m. You start work right away. Others come in and begin at 9, at noon, and four p.m. At the end of the day, you all get paid the same. The boss tells you take it or leave it.You work your way up the business ladder expecting promotions. Then, one day you overhear, “In my rules, the last shall be first, and […]
- Ice at Both Poles Shrinks to Record LowsArctic sea ice reached an all-time winter low while Antarctic ice withered to a summer low, all with global warming fingerprints. By Sabrina Shankman Here's another entry in the parade of sobering climate records: The National Snow and Ice Data Center announced Wednesday that Arctic sea ice hit its maximum extent for the year on March 7, and it was the […]
- Judge Orders Exxon to Turn Over Tillerson's 'Wayne Tracker' Climate EmailsA deadline of March 31 is set for Tillerson's alias emails to be given to New York's attorney general, along with an explanation why they were withheld. By David Hasemyer Exxon officials have been ordered by a New York judge to explain how the company overlooked a shadow email account used by its former chief executive Rex Tillerson while the compa […]
- “Massive leak” at nuclear plant after reactors contract “small pox” — Stunning Discovery: Contagion has spread all over critical structures — Multiple large cracks found — Experts befuddled… Literally a plot similar to a movie thriller
- Nuclear Investigator: Worry over underground explosions at Fukushima — New data shows molten fuel is “dropping lower each day”, melting deeper into ground below plant — Disaster far worse than public being told — “Why aren’t we reading about this everywhere?”
There is NO EVIDENCE that the Bible is from or inspired by a God, or that either of these two man-made biblical scriptures -- foundational to Christianism -- is true:
Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." John 3:16: "For God so loved the world that He gave is only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." NONE.
Most Popular Posts...
The Religion of Usefulness
What Is Freethought?
The Meaning and Value of Freethought
Freethought Keeps On Winning
Lists of Freethinkers/Atheists
The Freethinker and The Improved Man
We are all Stardust...
We're The Lucky Ones
~A Guide To The Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy~
If I were not a Buddhist, I would most likely be a Stoic
Finding Meaning in a Purposeless Universe
Why Won't God Heal Amputees?
~Fundamentalism is the Tragedy of All Religions~
History Of Religion In Three Minutes
The Whole Christian Story in 101 Words
~Christianism: A Relationship Built On Threats~
Exoneration of Jesus Christ
Losing Faith: Yahweh or the Highway
Christianism Disproved Beyond a Reasonable Doubt
Psychological Harms of Bible Believing Christianism
Mondragon: The Loving Society That Is Our Inevitable Future
Living From Our Local Landscape and Countryside - Wendell Berry
The Idea of a Local Economy - Wendell Berry
The Work of Local Culture - Wendell Berry
Finding Meaningful Work - Dave Smith
Cesar Chavez: When Your Guru Goes Gaga - Dave Smith
~Embrace the Mystery~
~Mindfulness Without Religion~
Intelligence, Not the Bible, Is The Only Moral Guide
Religion Is The Root Of All Ignorance
An Organized Collection of Irrational Nonsense
Free of the Biblical God
Don't Mess With God
~Guide to all the Gods~
Alphabetical List of all the Gods
Where Is The Graveyard of Dead Gods?
~List of Religions and Spiritual Traditions~
~Guide to Christianist Denominations: Can you, gentle seeker, find the one true way in these 41,000 alternatives that teaches the exact infallible biblical truth and save your soul from the one true god's eternal damnation? Time's a'wasting...~
Guide to the 40 Best Atheist Arguments
God's Killings in the Bible
God Is Imaginary
Religion Is Terrorism
Christian History 101
An Open Letter To Jesus Christ
12 Really Bad Religious Ideas That Have Made The World Worse
What Leaving Religion Has Done For Me
Carl Sagan Took My Faith and Gave Me Awe
The 30-Second God Debate
Richard Dawkins: The God Delusion
A Christian and a Buddhist Walk Into A Cartoon
The bible has got to go...
Think you're headed for heaven? Think again...
Not Afraid of Burning In Hell
The 20 Basic Reasons To Abandon Christianism
Religion Is Not Only Mistaken, But Does More Harm Than Good - Valerie Tarico
More Valerie Tarico
Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason - Sam Harris
More Sam Harris
What Muslims Believe
Telling the Truth about the Holy Bible - Robert Ingersoll
How To Be Saved - Robert Ingersoll
The Great Infidels - Robert Ingersoll
Interactive Chart of Biblical Contradictions
Apology for Christianity
Let The Mystery Be
More Socialism — Less Capitalism
The Socialist Alternative
Why support independent, locally owned businesses?
The Local Multiplier Effect
The Dirty F@#*ing Hippies Were Right!
Summary of the Collapse of Industrial Civilization
Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so. ~Robert Ingersoll
If prayer actually worked, everyone would be a millionaire, nobody would ever get sick and die, and both football teams would always win. ~Ethan Winer
Every sensible man, every honorable man, must hold the Christian sect in horror. Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd, and bloody religion that has ever infected the world. ~Voltaire
The strongly religious fear our capacity for moral reasoning that does not require a magical, invisible deity. They fear our ability to be ethical without the threat of hell or the reward of heaven. They fear that our allegiance is not to this or that country, or this or that prophet, or this or that guru, but to humanity as a whole. ~Phil Zuckerman
The idea that God could only forgive our sins by having his son tortured to death as a scapegoat is surely, from an objective point of view, a deeply unpleasant idea. If God wanted to forgive us our sins, why didn’t he just forgive them? Why did he have to have his son tortured? ~Richard Dawkins
Small is beautiful, when small is skilled and dedicated. ~Gene Logsdon
It is the right of every rational adult to choose their time of death and that has NOTHING to do with how sick you are.~Exit International
All religions are lies and scams, and all believers are victims. ~David Silverman
We [atheists] have no martyrs, we have no saints. ~Christopher Hitchens
Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right. ~H L Mencken
I've observed that people tend to live at one of two extremes in the spectrum of life: those who live on the edge, and those who avoid the edge. Those who live on the edge are hanging out in the most dangerous and unstable places — yet they're also often the most powerful agents of change, because the edge is where change is happening; away from the edge, things are naturally unchanging. ~Thom Hartmann
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion. ~Jon Stewart
My 12th year was my most Christian and most boring year in my life. ~Chuck Berry
Come on. You just can’t come up with anything more ridiculous than someone who honestly thinks that all human woes stem from an incident in which a talking snake accosted a naked woman in a primeval garden and talked her into eating a piece of fruit. ~Keith Parsons
When men stop believing in God, it isn't that they then believe in nothing: they believe in everything. ~Umberto Eco
Christians don’t need to be born again, they need to grow up. ~John Shelby Spong
Life is not a problem to be solved, nor a question to be answered. Life is a mystery to be experienced. ~Alan Watts
Society is like a stew: If you don't stir it up every now and then, the scum rises to the top.~Edward Abbey
You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ~Buckminster Fuller
How thoughtful of God to arrange matters so that, wherever you happen to be born, the local religion always turns out to be the true one. ~ Richard Dawkins
I’m not saying there isn’t a god, but there isn’t a god who cares about people. And who wants a god who doesn’t give a shit? ~Robert Munsch
One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion. ~Arthur C. Clarke
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish. ~ Anon
When you understand why you dismiss all the other gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. ~ Stephen Roberts
Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning. ~ Joseph Campbell
The only true definition of an atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in God or gods. ~Oxford English Dictionary
You have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Faith is just another word for gullibility.
I sang as one / Who on a tilting deck sings / To keep men's courage up, though the wave hangs / That shall cut off their sun. ~C. Day Lewis
Browse The Categories
Browse The Archives
Books of the Freethinkers Bible
What is a fact beyond all doubt is that we share an ancestor with every other species of animal and plant on the planet. We know this because some genes are recognizably the same genes in all living creatures, including animals, plants and bacteria. And, above all, the genetic code itself — the dictionary by which all genes are translated — is the same across all living creatures that have ever been looked at. We are all cousins. Your family tree includes not just obvious cousins like chimpanzees and monkeys but also mice, buffaloes, iguanas, wallabies, snails, dandelions, golden eagles, mushrooms, whales, wombats and bacteria. All are our cousins. Every last one of them. Isn't that a far more wonderful thought than any myth? And the most wonderful thing of all is that we know for certain it is literally true...
The whole world is made of incredibly tiny things, much too small to be visible to the naked eye — and yet none of the myths or so-called holy books that some people, even now, think were given to us by an all-knowing god, mentions them at all! In fact, when you look at those myths and stories, you can see that they don't contain any of the knowledge that science has patiently worked out. They don't tell us how big or how old the universe is; they don't tell us how to treat cancer; they don't explain gravity or the internal combustion engine; they don't tell us about germs, or anesthetics. In fact, unsurprisingly, the stories in holy books don't contain any more information about the world than was known to the primitive peoples who first started telling them! If these 'holy books' really were written, or dictated, or inspired, by all-knowing gods, don't you think it's odd that those gods said nothing about any of these important and useful things? -Richard Dawkins
Prayer seems to me a cry of weakness, and an attempt to avoid, by trickery, the rules of the game as laid down. I do not choose to admit weakness. I accept the challenge of responsibility. Life, as it is, does not frighten me, since I have made my peace with the universe as I find it, and bow to its laws… It seems to me that organized creeds are collections of words around a wish. I feel no need for such.
I know that nothing is destructible; things merely change forms. When the consciousness we know as life ceases, I know that I shall still be part and parcel of the world. I was a part before the sun rolled into shape and burst forth in the glory of change. I was, when the earth was hurled out from its fiery rim. I shall return with the earth to Father Sun, and still exist in substance when the sun has lost its fire, and disintegrated into infinity to perhaps become a part of the whirling rubble of space. Why fear? The stuff of my being is matter, ever changing, ever moving, but never lost; so what need of denominations and creeds to deny myself the comfort of all my fellow men? -Zora Neale Hurston
An atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that deed must be done instead of prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished, war eliminated. ~Madalyn Murray O'Hair, Founder
In the history of the world, the number of times a supernatural anything has been proven true is zero. Every god, ghost, spirit, devil, possession, and miracle ever claimed true is a lie. No exceptions. The number of times an atheistic (godless) argument has been proven wrong by a theistic argument is zero... In contrast, every time a theist-versus-atheist argument has been settled, an atheistic argument has won. This does not mean science is antireligion; it just means (or rather, strongly implies) religion is wrong... I challenge anyone to find any scientifically valid testable proof of anything supernatural, ever. If you can prove it, even once, I'll quit my job. I'm not nervous, as it has never been done in history, because it's ALL a lie. ~David Silverman, President
Socialist Alternative is the organization that spearheaded the campaign to elect Kshama Sawant to Seattle City Council, the first independent socialist elected in a major U.S. city in decades. We are a national organization fighting in our workplaces, communities, and campuses against the exploitation and injustices people face every day. We are community activists fighting against budget cuts in public services; we are activists campaigning for a $15/hour minimum wage and fighting, democratic unions; we are people of all colors speaking out against racism and attacks on immigrants, students organizing against tuition hikes and war, women and men fighting sexism and homophobia.
We believe the Republicans and Democrats are both parties of big business, and we are campaigning to build an independent, alternative party of workers and young people to fight for the interests of the millions, not the millionaires.
We see the global capitalist system as the root cause of the economic crisis, poverty, discrimination, war, and environmental destruction. As capitalism moves deeper into crisis, a new generation of workers and youth must join together to take the top 500 corporations into public ownership under democratic control to end the ruling elites’ global competition for profits and power.
We believe the dictatorships that existed in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe were perversions of what socialism is really about.
We are for democratic socialism where ordinary people will have control over our daily lives.
Local Organic Family Farms
THE SMALL ORGANIC FARM greatly discomforts the corporate/ industrial mind because the small organic farm is one of the most relentlessly subversive forces on the planet. Over centuries both the communist and the capitalist systems have tried to destroy small farms because small farmers are a threat to the consolidation of absolute power.
Thomas Jefferson said he didn’t think we could have democracy unless at least 20% of the population was self-supporting on small farms so they were independent enough to be able to tell an oppressive government to stuff it.
It is very difficult to control people who can create products without purchasing inputs from the system, who can market their products directly thus avoiding the involvement of mercenary middlemen, who can butcher animals and preserve foods without reliance on industrial conglomerates, and who can’t be bullied because they can feed their own faces. ~Eliot Coleman
Are The Heart
Of Free Communities
The only "hallowed halls"
I know of exist in
libraries and bookstores.
They saved my life. ~ ds
If you have a garden
and a library,
you have everything
you need. ~ Cicero