Au Contraire Blogging
Gods are Myths
Religion is a Lie
You Know It's Rubbish
The Contrary Farmer
The Contrary Minister
The Contrary Musician
News and Opinion
and Without Profit
Mendocino Country & Environs
William Edelen (RIP)
Dave Smith ~ Editor/Publisher
OUR COMPANION BLOGS
The Contrary Musician
Shortcuts To Mastering Piano & Guitar
How Playing an Instrument
Benefits Your Brain
Creating music is a
random act of kindness
- Why Bernie Sanders Is Our Best Chance to Beat Donald Trump…
- Ingersoll’s Vow…
- Pie In The Sky
- Faith vs. Science
- Jeff Cox: Does Matter Emerge From Consciousness? …
- Sam Harris: The Mystery of Consciousness…
- The Soul of an Octopus: How One of Earth’s Most Alien Creatures Illuminates the Wonders of Consciousness…
- TODD WALTON: Hollywood Salads
- Authoritarianism: The political science that explains Trump…
- Our Right to Democratic Socialism…
- 500 Questions on Ingersoll’s Vow…
- KIA on Ingersoll’s Vow…
- Jim Houle on Pie In The Sky
- doc zaphod on Jeff Cox: Does Matter Emerge From Consciousness? …
- izzy on Jeff Cox: Does Matter Emerge From Consciousness? …
- ds on Sam Harris: The Mystery of Consciousness…
- Ron Epstein on Sam Harris: The Mystery of Consciousness…
- doc zaphod on American Aggression Against China…
- anonforrest on Today’s Republican Party is a Candidate for Most Dangerous Organization in Human History…
- ds on Boycott Walmart! Bring Costco to Ukiah NOW!…
Independent News & Blog Feeds
- Mendocino County Today: Tuesday, May 24, 2016TOM WODETZSKI alerts us that the Anderson Valley Land Trust is leading a geologist’s hike through the Floodgate landslide area “to learn about the geology of our watershed, and view photos of the Floodgate slide then and now. This hike will be on July 10th. (Call 895-3150 to RSVP. I canoed down the Navarro River soon thereafter […]
- Cowboy Bob’s Last RideShe robbed banks while dressed as a man. She never carried a gun or hurt anyone. The cops called her 'Cowboy Bob.'
- Mendocino County Today: Monday, May 23, 2016Marin Communists; Road Block; Bern Vallejo; Pinot Fest; Judy Pruden; Affordable Housing; Server Errors; Clinton Democrats; Hometown Broadcasters; Sweeting Disappearance; Modern Art; UDJ Endorsements; Pets!; Future Sacrifice; Junior Giant; SPACE Theater; Movie Night; Big Oil
- Old Lady Claims She’d Die Before Voting For TrumpThe benevolent Lord of Tabulators granted her wish. Then the deceased's obituary stated she also preferred death to punching Hillary's chad. Prolonging the farce, Deborah Wasserman-Schultz(Sen-FL, aka the Goebbels of Coral Gables) released a DNC statement blaming Bernie Sanders's Brownshirts for murdering yet another fine set of American-made […]
- African Beekeeping Stops Mites from Wiping out HivesTraditional African beekeeping methods offer better protection against hive-destroying varroa mites than pesticides which, according to a study, are losing their potency.
- Privatizing America’s Public LandIt goes without saying that in a democracy everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions. The trouble starts when people think they are also entitled to their own facts.
- Lived Crisis vs. Systemic Crisis: Notes on a "New Narrative"A new narrative will need to be prickly enough to resist easy incorporation, yet warm and fuzzy enough to draw people in; difficult and rigorous in its concepts to make it relatively slogan-proof, yet accessible enough to engage a distracted people.
- Retrotopia: A Distant Scent of BloodThis is the sixteenth installment of an exploration of some of the possible futures discussed on this blog, using the toolkit of narrative fiction. Our narrator, having recovered from a bout of the flu, goes for a walk, meets someone he’s encountered before, and begins to understand why the Lakeland Republic took the path it did...***********The next morning […]
- A Few Notes on Burkean ConservatismSeveral times recently, in posts on this blog discussing the vagaries of current American politics, I’ve had occasion to reference my own political philosophy by name. This has caused a certain amount of confusion and curiosity, because the moniker I mentioned—“moderate Burkean conservative”—falls nowhere on the narrow range of political opinions allowed int […]
- “Happy Chewbacca” Lady is Using Her 15 Minutes of Fame to Tell You All About JesusBy now, you've surely seen the video of Candace Payne trying on an electronic Chewbacca mask. The more she laughs, the more we hear the Wookiee noises, and the cycle continues until even the viewers are laughing along with her.The video, which she streamed live on Facebook with her phone last week, already has about 140 million views as of this writing. […]
- Samantha Bee Explains the Religious Right’s Hypocrisy on AbortionAfter last week's look at the nasty, racist history of the Religious Right, Samantha Bee continued her look at Christian conservatives last night with a segment on abortion.The piece included a conversation with Frank Schaeffer, my Patheos colleague and one of the people responsible for the "pro-life" movement. He called it the "single gr […]
- The National Day of Prayer: Crank-Calling the Red Bat-Phone to “God.”One of the biggest ways that overzealous Christians reveal that their religious grandstanding is, well, just a pretendy fun-time game is in how they publicly talk about and engage in prayer. One of the very last things they should be doing is letting that fact slip to the rest of us--but they show us, in so many ways, exactly how little they themselves belie […]
- 3 New Marketing Slogans for the Religious Right.I mentioned being very very helpful the other day, and today I want to demonstrate that helpfulness by giving the duly-appointed (and self-appointed) representatives of the Religious Right some new slogans they can use to market their simple, universal human message of terror, misogyny, brutality, tribalism, abuse, and violence.
- Your Religion Is Special, Just Like All the OthersI remember believing that my religion was unlike all other religions in the world. I was taught growing up that Christianity was special. It had something that no other religion had, and that uniqueness spoke to its authenticity. Why uniqueness automatically indicates legitimacy I’m not exactly sure, but somehow it felt like it should. The usual [Read More.. […]
- We’re Committed to Transparency, But This Conversation Never HappenedLast weekend I was contacted independently by three different volunteers with Recovering From Religion, each one at varying degrees of discomfort about a letter they had just received from the board of the organization. Two of them shared the text of that letter with me because it contained language disparaging both my work and my [Read More...]
- Methinks Thou Doth Protest Too MuchBy Carl S ~ Do these words sound familiar?"You guys deny God and that Jesus is God, but you're ﬁghting against what you know is true. You know in your hearts he's real, but you keep coming up with more protests, saying the evidence shows he can’t exist. He is your judge, and you're just taunting him to punish you, but he won't becaus […]
- What's UpBy Carl S ~ When my two children became teens, we all decided it was time for them to give away the stuffed animals of their childhoods. I enjoyed watching them pack up those characters and listening to the stories they shared about them as they grew up. Lately, I've thought of how my kid brother and I had relationships with our stuffed animals, which h […]
- In defense of the term ‘Regressive Left’Having been recently and increasingly galled by claims like ‘There is no such thing as the regressive left’, I am compelled to offer a brief if impassioned defense… Me: *writes detailed critical piece examining how damaging “regressive left” tendencies can arise from progressive thought.* Internet commenters: There’s no such thing as ... The post In defense […]
- What about the victims of Islam?!This is a guest post by Soran Tarkhani. He is of Kurdish origin from Iraqi Kurdistan. In addition to working as an assistant lecturer at Salahaddin University in Erbil and is currently pursuing his PhD in political science. Growing up in “Kurdistan” which is often affiliated with secular philosophy ... The post What about the victims of Islam?! appeared fi […]
- Exxon Unlikely to Change Course on Climate Change at Annual Shareholder MeetingThe oil giant opposes six shareholder resolutions involving climate change and its risks, including assessing the impact of the Paris climate accord. By David Hasemyer ExxonMobil Corp. wants to extend its quarter-century streak of largely resisting the demands of some of its most vocal shareholders to alter course on climate change. See Also: Exxon Digs In […]
- Group of House Republicans Assail Climate Fraud Investigations Led by Texas Rep. Lamar Smith, group says probes into companies such as Exxon infringe on the companies' First Amendment rights. By Zahra Hirji In a series of letters sent on Wednesday, a group of Republicans on the House science committee accused 17 state attorneys general and eight activist, science outreach and legal groups of colluding on investigat […]
- 5/23/2016 — Supervolcano discovered at the North Pole — Mount Dutch undersea super volcano calderaAn earthquake swarm broke out near the North pole over the past few days (May 21-23, 2016). ______ Upon inspection of the area, I found an UNNAMED supervolcano at the Northernmost portion of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, at the tip of the North Pole. Coordinates of the caldera here: 81 32 38.90 N , 119 48 … Continue reading 5/23/2016 — Supervolcano discovered at t […]
- 5/20/2016 — Extremely rare large M6.1 earthquake strikes Central AustraliaAustralia has been struck by an extremely rare M6.1 (m5.9 revised) earthquake. It has been many years since Australia has been struck by any noteworthy earthquake activity. The last earthquake of noteworthy size was a M5.8 which struck in 2013 approximately 140 miles (220km) to the Southeast. A quick review of the earthquake epicenter shows … Continue readi […]
- Hospital: Fukushima radiation may be eating holes in people’s brains — Report: Military brought in to hide true radiation levels — Experts: Officials covering up dire consequences of crisis… Worry over high number of cancers being detected — Public suffering radioactive-related diseases (VIDEO)
- Expert: Billions of pieces Fukushima nuclear fuel have spread pretty much everywhere — “It’s truly frightening… wherever there’s cesium, there’s plutonium” — Atomic bomb had one pound of uranium… Fukushima had hundreds of tons — TV: “Abundant quantities” of plutonium are being found (VIDEO)
There is NO EVIDENCE that either of these two man-made biblical scriptures -- foundational to Christianism -- is true:
Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." John 3:16: "For God so loved the world that He gave is only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." NONE.
Most Popular Posts...
The Religion of Usefulness
What Is Freethought?
The Meaning and Value of Freethought
~Freethought Keeps On Winning~
Lists of Freethinkers/Atheists
We are all Stardust...
We're The Lucky Ones
~A Guide To The Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy~
If I were not a Buddhist, I would most likely be a Stoic
Finding Meaning in a Purposeless Universe
Why Won't God Heal Amputees?
~Fundamentalism is the Tragedy of All Religions~
~Christianism: A Relationship Built On Threats~
~Exoneration of Jesus Christ~
Losing Faith: Yahweh or the Highway
Christianism Disproved Beyond a Reasonable Doubt
Psychological Harms of Bible Believing Christianism
Mondragon: The Loving Society That Is Our Inevitable Future
Living From Our Local Landscape and Countryside - Wendell Berry
The Idea of a Local Economy - Wendell Berry
The Work of Local Culture - Wendell Berry
Finding Meaningful Work - Dave Smith
Cesar Chavez: When Your Guru Goes Gaga - Dave Smith
~Embrace the Mystery~
~Mindfulness Without Religion~
Intelligence, Not the Bible, Is The Only Moral Guide
An Organized Collection of Irrational Nonsense
Free of the Biblical GodDon't Mess With God
~Guide to all the Gods~
Alphabetical List of all the Gods
~List of Religions and Spiritual Traditions~
~Guide to Christianist Denominations: Can you, gentle seeker, find the one true way in these 41,000 alternatives that teaches the exact infallible biblical truth and save your soul from the one true god's eternal damnation? Time's a'wasting...~
Guide to the 40 Best Atheist Arguments
God's Killings in the Bible
God Is Imaginary
Religion Is Terrorism
Jesus Never Existed
Christian History 101
An Open Letter To Jesus Christ
12 Really Bad Religious Ideas That Have Made The World Worse
What Leaving Religion Has Done For Me
Carl Sagan Took My Faith and Gave Me Awe
The 30-Second God Debate
Richard Dawkins: The God Delusion
Confronting God at the Pearly Gates
A Christian and a Buddhist Walk Into A Cartoon
The bible has got to go...
Think you're headed for heaven? Think again...
Not Afraid of Burning In Hell
The 20 Basic Reasons To Abandon Christianism
Religion Is Not Only Mistaken, But Does More Harm Than Good - Valerie Tarico
More Valerie Tarico
Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason - Sam Harris
More Sam Harris
What Muslims Believe
Telling the Truth about the Holy Bible - Robert Ingersoll
How To Be Saved - Robert Ingersoll
The Great Infidels - Robert Ingersoll
Interactive Chart of Biblical Contradictions
Apology for Christianity
Let The Mystery Be
More Socialism — Less Capitalism
The Socialist Alternative
Why support independent, locally owned businesses?
The Local Multiplier Effect
The Dirty F@#*ing Hippies Were Right!
Summary of the Collapse of Industrial Civilization
Small is beautiful, when small is skilled and dedicated. ~Gene Logsdon
All religions are lies and scams, and all believers are victims. ~David Silverman
Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right. ~H L Mencken
I've observed that people tend to live at one of two extremes in the spectrum of life: those who live on the edge, and those who avoid the edge. Those who live on the edge are hanging out in the most dangerous and unstable places — yet they're also often the most powerful agents of change, because the edge is where change is happening; away from the edge, things are naturally unchanging. ~Thom Hartmann
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion. ~Jon Stewart
My 12th year was my most Christian and most boring year in my life. ~Chuck Berry
Come on. You just can’t come up with anything more ridiculous than someone who honestly thinks that all human woes stem from an incident in which a talking snake accosted a naked woman in a primeval garden and talked her into eating a piece of fruit. ~Keith Parsons
When men stop believing in God, it isn't that they then believe in nothing: they believe in everything. ~Umberto Eco
Christians don’t need to be born again, they need to grow up. ~John Shelby Spong
Life is not a problem to be solved, nor a question to be answered. Life is a mystery to be experienced. ~Alan Watts
Society is like a stew: If you don't stir it up every now and then, the scum rises to the top.~Edward Abbey
You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ~Buckminster Fuller
How thoughtful of God to arrange matters so that, wherever you happen to be born, the local religion always turns out to be the true one. ~ Richard Dawkins
I’m not saying there isn’t a god, but there isn’t a god who cares about people. And who wants a god who doesn’t give a shit? ~Robert Munsch
One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion. ~Arthur C. Clarke
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish. ~ Anon
When you understand why you dismiss all the other gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. ~ Stephen Roberts
Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning. ~ Joseph Campbell
The only true definition of an atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in God or gods. ~Oxford English Dictionary
You have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Faith is just another word for gullibility.
I sang as one / Who on a tilting deck sings / To keep men's courage up, though the wave hangs / That shall cut off their sun. ~C. Day Lewis
Browse The Archives
What is a fact beyond all doubt is that we share an ancestor with every other species of animal and plant on the planet. We know this because some genes are recognizably the same genes in all living creatures, including animals, plants and bacteria. And, above all, the genetic code itself — the dictionary by which all genes are translated — is the same across all living creatures that have ever been looked at. We are all cousins. Your family tree includes not just obvious cousins like chimpanzees and monkeys but also mice, buffaloes, iguanas, wallabies, snails, dandelions, golden eagles, mushrooms, whales, wombats and bacteria. All are our cousins. Every last one of them. Isn't that a far more wonderful thought than any myth? And the most wonderful thing of all is that we know for certain it is literally true...
The whole world is made of incredibly tiny things, much too small to be visible to the naked eye — and yet none of the myths or so-called holy books that some people, even now, think were given to us by an all-knowing god, mentions them at all! In fact, when you look at those myths and stories, you can see that they don't contain any of the knowledge that science has patiently worked out. They don't tell us how big or how old the universe is; they don't tell us how to treat cancer; they don't explain gravity or the internal combustion engine; they don't tell us about germs, or anesthetics. In fact, unsurprisingly, the stories in holy books don't contain any more information about the world than was known to the primitive peoples who first started telling them! If these 'holy books' really were written, or dictated, or inspired, by all-knowing gods, don't you think it's odd that those gods said nothing about any of these important and useful things? -Richard Dawkins
Prayer seems to me a cry of weakness, and an attempt to avoid, by trickery, the rules of the game as laid down. I do not choose to admit weakness. I accept the challenge of responsibility. Life, as it is, does not frighten me, since I have made my peace with the universe as I find it, and bow to its laws… It seems to me that organized creeds are collections of words around a wish. I feel no need for such.
I know that nothing is destructible; things merely change forms. When the consciousness we know as life ceases, I know that I shall still be part and parcel of the world. I was a part before the sun rolled into shape and burst forth in the glory of change. I was, when the earth was hurled out from its fiery rim. I shall return with the earth to Father Sun, and still exist in substance when the sun has lost its fire, and disintegrated into infinity to perhaps become a part of the whirling rubble of space. Why fear? The stuff of my being is matter, ever changing, ever moving, but never lost; so what need of denominations and creeds to deny myself the comfort of all my fellow men? -Zora Neale Hurston
Socialist Alternative is the organization that spearheaded the campaign to elect Kshama Sawant to Seattle City Council, the first independent socialist elected in a major U.S. city in decades. We are a national organization fighting in our workplaces, communities, and campuses against the exploitation and injustices people face every day. We are community activists fighting against budget cuts in public services; we are activists campaigning for a $15/hour minimum wage and fighting, democratic unions; we are people of all colors speaking out against racism and attacks on immigrants, students organizing against tuition hikes and war, women and men fighting sexism and homophobia.
We believe the Republicans and Democrats are both parties of big business, and we are campaigning to build an independent, alternative party of workers and young people to fight for the interests of the millions, not the millionaires.
We see the global capitalist system as the root cause of the economic crisis, poverty, discrimination, war, and environmental destruction. As capitalism moves deeper into crisis, a new generation of workers and youth must join together to take the top 500 corporations into public ownership under democratic control to end the ruling elites’ global competition for profits and power.
We believe the dictatorships that existed in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe were perversions of what socialism is really about.
We are for democratic socialism where ordinary people will have control over our daily lives.
An atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that deed must be done instead of prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished, war eliminated. ~Madalyn Murray O'Hair, Founder
In the history of the world, the number of times a supernatural anything has been proven true is zero. Every god, ghost, spirit, devil, possession, and miracle ever claimed true is a lie. No exceptions. The number of times an atheistic (godless) argument has been proven wrong by a theistic argument is zero... In contrast, every time a theist-versus-atheist argument has been settled, an atheistic argument has won. This does not mean science is antireligion; it just means (or rather, strongly implies) religion is wrong... I challenge anyone to find any scientifically valid testable proof of anything supernatural, ever. If you can prove it, even once, I'll quit my job. I'm not nervous, as it has never been done in history, because it's ALL a lie. ~David Silverman, President
Local Organic Family Farms
THE SMALL ORGANIC FARM greatly discomforts the corporate/ industrial mind because the small organic farm is one of the most relentlessly subversive forces on the planet. Over centuries both the communist and the capitalist systems have tried to destroy small farms because small farmers are a threat to the consolidation of absolute power.
Thomas Jefferson said he didn’t think we could have democracy unless at least 20% of the population was self-supporting on small farms so they were independent enough to be able to tell an oppressive government to stuff it.
It is very difficult to control people who can create products without purchasing inputs from the system, who can market their products directly thus avoiding the involvement of mercenary middlemen, who can butcher animals and preserve foods without reliance on industrial conglomerates, and who can’t be bullied because they can feed their own faces. ~Eliot Coleman
Are The Heart
Of Free Communities
The only "hallowed halls"
I know of exist in
libraries and bookstores.
They saved my life. ~ ds
If you have a garden
and a library,
you have everything
you need. ~ Cicero