Formerly Ukiah Blog
William Edelen (RIP)
The Contrary Minister
POPULAR POST SERIES
Faith vs. Reason
Final Exit Network
…a local history of community character…
The Contrary Musician
Shortcuts To Mastering Piano & Guitar
How Playing an Instrument
Benefits Your Brain
Creating music is a
random act of kindness
- TODD WALTON: Postcards & Notecards
- Losing Our Religion: Movie Trailer…
- It is the natural tendency of the ignorant to believe what is not true…
- All You Fascists Bound To Lose…
- JEFF COX: Intolerance
- Freethinker: Robert Ingersoll
- Freedom From Religion Foundation unveils “The Most Unpleasant Character” webpage…
- Rational Suicide: Dr Philip Nitschke in Darwin, Australia to show people how to end their lives…
- TODD WALTON: Twins
- Rebuttal to the Richard Dawkins Controversy…
- Albert Krauss on It is the natural tendency of the ignorant to believe what is not true…
- Mary on JEFF COX: Intolerance
- An Atheist In Iowa on Jesus: I love you unconditionally…
- ds on The New York Times covers Dawkins’s Berkeley deplatforming…
- ds on The New York Times covers Dawkins’s Berkeley deplatforming…
- Mike W on The New York Times covers Dawkins’s Berkeley deplatforming…
- Mary on Evangelical Christians and Donald Trump: They love him because they don’t trust facts or reason…
- An Atheist In Iowa on Evangelical Christians and Donald Trump: They love him because they don’t trust facts or reason…
- ds on Stoic Reminders For Everyday Practice…
- Albert Krauss on Stoic Reminders For Everyday Practice…
Independent News & Blog Feeds
- Mendocino County Today: Wednesday, Aug. 16, 2017FORT BRAGG CITY MANAGER ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT Fort Bragg City Manager Linda Ruffing has announced her retirement, effective January 12, 2018. Ms. Ruffing has served as the City Manager of Fort Bragg since 2006. Prior to that, she served as Fort Bragg’s Community Development Director for nearly seven years. According to Ms. Ruffing, “It has been […]
- Why Can’t Progressives Question Kamala Harris?
- Mendocino County Today: Tuesday, Aug. 15, 2017Hospitality Hearing; Moratorium Necessary; Vaccination Rates; PD Headlines; Saner Arraignment; Name That Bird; Measure B; Rental Distinction; Green Party; Athletic Directors; Frightening Sentence; Democrats Picnic; Yesterday's Catch; Maker Community; First Shot; Holy Cockroach; Busting Randolph; Prison Wages; Retirement Board; Nazi Punching; Lonely Seni […]
- An Open Letter to Angela DavisJames Baldwin discusses living in an age where silence isn't just criminal, it's suicidal.
- Se lesionaron en el trabajo. Y entonces fueron deportados.Por Michael Grabell, ProPublica, y Howard Berkes, NPR, Este artículo fue publicado junto con NPR. Read in English. A la edad de 31 años, Nixon Arias tenía un perfil parecido a muchos migrantes indocumentados en los Estados Unidos. Oriundo de Honduras, había estado en el país durante más de una década y había trabajado intermitentemente para una empresa de ja […]
- They Got Hurt at Work. Then They Got Deported.by Michael Grabell, ProPublica, and Howard Berkes, NPR, This story was co-published with NPR. Leer en español. At age 31, Nixon Arias cut a profile similar to many unauthorized immigrants in the United States. A native of Honduras, he’d been in the country for more than a decade and had worked off and on for a landscaping company for nine years. The money he […]
- The Joe Arpaio I Knewby Ryan Gabrielson For most of Joe Arpaio’s two-plus decades as Maricopa County sheriff, he directed operations from the top floor of a downtown Phoenix tower, worlds away from the jails overseen by rank and-file deputies. The executive offices wrapped around an expansive conference room, where I spent weeks in early 2008 with banker boxes full of arrest rec […]
- Can Folks in the US Find the Peace to Make Sense of the Present and Dream of a Future worth Fighting For?What strikes me now in writing this, is just how extraordinarily privileged I am to have the peace and space for contemplation and dialogue. My clarity is the product of thousands of miles of travel, hundreds of conversations, days of writing. The major question I’m left with is how on earth can folks in the US find the peace to make sense of the present and […]
- Undiscovered Peatlands Might be the Most Important Thing you Learn about Today. Here’s Why.Peatlands are the superheroes of ecosystems: purifying water, sometimes mitigating flooding and providing a home for rare species. And they beat nearly every system when it comes to carbon storage. Known peatlands only cover about 3 percent of the world’s land surface, but store at least twice as much carbon as all of Earth’s standing forests. And at least o […]
- Vertical Farms – No Lighthouses for Ecological CitiesThe dream of food without dirt. That is the best description of how we will get food in the future if we would believe the impressive number of food tech start-ups which will produce food without soil or animals. But few of them deliver on their exaggerated promises. The post Vertical Farms – No Lighthouses for Ecological Cities appeared first on Resilience […]
- Sun and Moon: Stunning Illustrations of Celestial Myths by Ten of India’s Greatest Indigenous ArtistsAncient allegorical reflections on the universal themes of life, love, time, harmony, and our eternal search for a completeness of being.
- The Terror Within and the Evil Without: James Baldwin on Our Capacity for Transformation as Individuals and Nations"It has always been much easier (because it has always seemed much safer) to give a name to the evil without than to locate the terror within."
- Religion and PatriarchyBoth religion and patriarchy have prehistoric roots. What was the relationship between these two ancient human practices?
- The Theory of Individual Selection and Its FlawsRichard Dawkins’s theory is a powerful tool for cracking the mysteries of the cosmos, but it has a limitation. In reality, genes were never loners.
- So Much for a Finely Tuned UniverseThe "fine-tuning" argument for God's existence is one of the weakest tools in an apologist's arsenal.
- Lawsuit May Challenge Ontario’s Religious Exemptions for Doctor-Assisted DeathAs it stands, taxpayer funded Catholic hospitals in Ontario don't have to help patients who want to end life on their own terms.A lawsuit would challenge their religious exemption.
- Baptist Pastor: Gay Marriage Is Fine As Long As the Couple Is Shot at the AltarThe love of Christ + a hatred of LGBT people = This sermon.
- This Explains All the Cringeworthy Moments from Bill Nye Saves the WorldYou can love science, love Bill Nye, and still believe his Netflix series was a dud.
- Archbishop: I’d Go to Jail Before Reporting Child Abuse Told To Me in ConfessionWhen someone's life is in danger, the bond of secrecy ought to go out the window.
- Westboro Baptist Church Loses Major Legal Battle Over Military Funeral ProtestsThe Westboro Baptist Church has lost a major court battle in their efforts to picket military funerals in Nebraska.It's almost like God hates them...
- The Bible Story and Ancient Sexual Script Behind the Handmaid’s TaleAt the heart of Hulu’s new series lies an ancient story about two slave women. If The Handmaid’s Tale offers any sign, Margaret Atwood has read more of her Bible than many Christians. Superficially, Atwood’s dystopian novel is littered with biblical names … Continue reading →
- Fabricating Jesus — An Interview with Former Minister David ChumneyHow the gospel stories in the New Testament came to be. David Chumney spent almost three decades as an ordained Presbyterian minister before quietly exiting the ministry and Christianity itself. He now describes himself as agnostic, but his exodus from … Continue reading →
- UK Prime Minister to Form New Government With the DUP — a Party of Intolerance and Social BackwardnessBy Adi Chowdhury In the wake of last night’s snap election — which resulted in an elated Jeremy Corbyn and a rather miserable Theresa May — the Conservative party has lost a majority in the House of Common and now bestows a hung parliament upon the UK. However, in an unprecedented move, Conservative leader Theresa… Continue reading UK Prime Minister to Form […]
- It’s Ironic, But Only a Secular Democracy Can Ensure Genuine Religious Freedom for AllBy Adi Chowdhury From the Catholic priest in China who can only stand by as government officials censor his lessons to fit convenient political agendas, to the Buddhists in Indonesia watching their temples going up in flames at the hands of local Islamists, to the young Muslim girl who has her hijab snatched away and… Continue reading It’s Ironic, But Only a […]
- Christian Marketing Sucks: Bait and Switch Edition.This marketing tactic is hugely dishonest, yes, but it's also very effective against the unwary. No wonder so many Christians use it so often in their evangelism efforts: we carry around in our heads a raft of cognitive biases that ensure that even the most skeptical of us can fall for bait-and-switch evangelism. Today I'll show you what this type […]
- The False Narrative of Martyrdom in “I’m Not Ashamed”What angers me most about the horrible Christian movie I'm Not Ashamed is its absolutely shameless contortion of a child's brutal, senseless death to advance a very clear political agenda. Today I'll walk you through how that task was accomplished--and show you why we absolutely must reject it.
- Why Losing God Hits Some of Us HarderI wasn’t active in the skeptic movement long before I discovered how different my perspective on religion was from that of other atheists. In time I came to understand that people who have never been religious come to the subject as outsiders who cannot always sympathize with those who formerly were. But I most definitely […]
- After God, Then What?This summer I’ve been trying to work my way through outlining a book I’ve been wanting to write for several years now, but didn’t feel ready to begin. The biggest holdup, I think, was that I wasn’t sure which of two or three directions I wanted to go with the book. Truth be told, I […]
- Fire-Breathing Dinosaurs?By Philip J. Senter Mainstream geologists and biologists accept the abundant physical evidence that the Earth is billions of years old; that all organisms are evolutionary descendants of a common ancestor; and that non-avian dinosaurs became extinct sixty-five million years ago (e.g., Gradstein et al. 2004; Prothero 2007). In contrast, young-Earth creationis […]
- US federal department is censoring use of term ‘climate change’, emails revealBy Oliver Milman Staff at the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) have been told to avoid using the term climate change in their work, with the officials instructed to reference “weather extremes” instead. A series of emails obtained by the Guardian between staff at the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), a USDA unit that oversees farmers’ land co […]
- The Biology of Good and EvilIn this episode of the Waking Up podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Robert Sapolsky about his work with baboons, the opposition between reason and emotion, doubt, the evolution of the brain, the civilizing role of the frontal cortex, the illusion of free will, justice and vengeance, brain-machine interface, religion, drugs, and other topics.Robert Sapolsky is a […]
- Living With ViolenceIn this episode of the Waking Up podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Gavin de Becker about the primacy of human intuition in the prediction and prevention of violence. Gavin de Becker is a three-time presidential appointee whose pioneering work has changed the way the U.S. government evaluates threats to its highest officials. He is widely regarded as one of the […]
- How to be a Stoic, in practiceThis past summer I ran a Stoic School in Rome for three days (will do it again next year, so stay tuned…), during which I went through both the theory and practice of Stoicism. The goal was for the students... Read More ›
- Another one on Stoicism & Buddhism, the self, and even free willAdam Gopnik has recently published in The New Yorker an in-depth review of the recent book by Robert Wright, Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment. It actually refers both to Wright’s volume as well... Read More ›
- Atheists tend to be seen as immoral – even by other atheists: studyArticle from The Guardian, submitted by Jennifer ~ Religious belief widely viewed as safeguard against ‘grossly immoral conduct’, according to new researchAtheists are more easily suspected of evil deeds than Christians, Muslims, Hindus or Buddhists – even by fellow atheists, according to the authors of a new study.The finding suggests that in an increasingl […]
- A Little Knowledge is a Dangerous ThingBy Carl S ~ A phrase we don't hear very often anymore is usually applied to rulers and surgeons: “Playing God.” It might be revived to explain President Trump. Playing God can be described as: few explanations, no apologies, no accountability, and above the laws of man. So far, “playing God” is working for him. And it might explain why 81% of evangelica […]
- Suniva, Seeking Tariffs on Foreign Solar Panels, Faces Tough Questions from ITCWhy didn't manufacturers thrive while the rest of the U.S. solar industry was booming? How a federal commission answers that could upend an industry. By Marianne Lavelle At a federal hearing Tuesday to decide whether domestic makers of solar panels need tariff protection from imports, members of the U.S. International Trade Commission focused much of th […]
- Suniva Solar Tariff Case Could Throttle a Thriving IndustryTwo bankrupt solar panel manufacturers are asking the U.S. government for tariffs on imports, imports U.S. solar installers rely on. It's already having an impact. By Gloria Dickie Would an intervention by Washington to save this industry end up destroying it? That's the question confronting the solar industry as the U.S. International Trade Commis […]
- Bomb found at Fukushima nuclear plant — Officials concerned device could explode — “Military unit is headed to the site” — “Police have cordoned off the surrounding area”
- Pieces of Fukushima reactor cores still floating around, new study reveals — Hot particles with over 1 Quadrillion becquerels per kilogram detected — Radioactive materials contain Uranium, Polonium, Americium (VIDEO)
There is NO EVIDENCE that the Bible is from or inspired by a God, or that either of these two man-made biblical scriptures -- foundational to Christianism -- is true:
Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." John 3:16: "For God so loved the world that He gave is only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." NONE.
Most Popular Posts...
The Religion of Usefulness
What Is Freethought?
The Meaning and Value of Freethought
Freethought Keeps On Winning
Lists of Freethinkers/Atheists
The Freethinker and The Improved Man
We are all Stardust...
We're The Lucky Ones
Stoicism Cheat Sheet
~A Guide To The Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy~
If I were not a Buddhist, I would most likely be a Stoic
Finding Meaning in a Purposeless Universe
Why Won't God Heal Amputees?
~Fundamentalism is the Tragedy of All Religions~
History Of Religion In Three Minutes
The Whole Christian Story in 101 Words
~Christianism: A Relationship Built On Threats~
Exoneration of Jesus Christ
Losing Faith: Yahweh or the Highway
Christianism Disproved Beyond a Reasonable Doubt
Psychological Harms of Bible Believing Christianism
Mondragon: The Loving Society That Is Our Inevitable Future
Living From Our Local Landscape and Countryside - Wendell Berry
The Idea of a Local Economy - Wendell Berry
The Work of Local Culture - Wendell Berry
Finding Meaningful Work - Dave Smith
Cesar Chavez: When Your Guru Goes Gaga - Dave Smith
~Embrace the Mystery~
~Mindfulness Without Religion~
Intelligence, Not the Bible, Is The Only Moral Guide
Religion Is The Root Of All Ignorance
An Organized Collection of Irrational Nonsense
Free of the Biblical God
Don't Mess With God
~Guide to all the Gods~
Alphabetical List of all the Gods
Where Is The Graveyard of Dead Gods?
~List of Religions and Spiritual Traditions~
~Guide to Christianist Denominations: Can you, gentle seeker, find the one true way in these 41,000 alternatives that teaches the exact infallible biblical truth and save your soul from the one true god's eternal damnation? Time's a'wasting...~
Guide to the 40 Best Atheist Arguments
God's Killings in the Bible
God Is Imaginary
Religion Is Terrorism
Christian History 101
An Open Letter To Jesus Christ
12 Really Bad Religious Ideas That Have Made The World Worse
What Leaving Religion Has Done For Me
Carl Sagan Took My Faith and Gave Me Awe
The 30-Second God Debate
Richard Dawkins: The God Delusion
A Christian and a Buddhist Walk Into A Cartoon
The bible has got to go...
Think you're headed for heaven? Think again...
Not Afraid of Burning In Hell
The 20 Basic Reasons To Abandon Christianism
Religion Is Not Only Mistaken, But Does More Harm Than Good - Valerie Tarico
More Valerie Tarico
Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason - Sam Harris
More Sam Harris
What Muslims Believe
Telling the Truth about the Holy Bible - Robert Ingersoll
How To Be Saved - Robert Ingersoll
The Great Infidels - Robert Ingersoll
Interactive Chart of Biblical Contradictions
Apology for Christianity
Let The Mystery Be
More Socialism — Less Capitalism
The Socialist Alternative
Why support independent, locally owned businesses?
The Local Multiplier Effect
The Dirty F@#*ing Hippies Were Right!
Summary of the Collapse of Industrial Civilization
Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so. ~Robert Ingersoll
If prayer actually worked, everyone would be a millionaire, nobody would ever get sick and die, and both football teams would always win. ~Ethan Winer
Every sensible man, every honorable man, must hold the Christian sect in horror. Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd, and bloody religion that has ever infected the world. ~Voltaire
The strongly religious fear our capacity for moral reasoning that does not require a magical, invisible deity. They fear our ability to be ethical without the threat of hell or the reward of heaven. They fear that our allegiance is not to this or that country, or this or that prophet, or this or that guru, but to humanity as a whole. ~Phil Zuckerman
The idea that God could only forgive our sins by having his son tortured to death as a scapegoat is surely, from an objective point of view, a deeply unpleasant idea. If God wanted to forgive us our sins, why didn’t he just forgive them? Why did he have to have his son tortured? ~Richard Dawkins
Small is beautiful, when small is skilled and dedicated. ~Gene Logsdon
It is the right of every rational adult to choose their time of death and that has NOTHING to do with how sick you are.~Exit International
All religions are lies and scams, and all believers are victims. ~David Silverman
We [atheists] have no martyrs, we have no saints. ~Christopher Hitchens
Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right. ~H L Mencken
I've observed that people tend to live at one of two extremes in the spectrum of life: those who live on the edge, and those who avoid the edge. Those who live on the edge are hanging out in the most dangerous and unstable places — yet they're also often the most powerful agents of change, because the edge is where change is happening; away from the edge, things are naturally unchanging. ~Thom Hartmann
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion. ~Jon Stewart
My 12th year was my most Christian and most boring year in my life. ~Chuck Berry
Come on. You just can’t come up with anything more ridiculous than someone who honestly thinks that all human woes stem from an incident in which a talking snake accosted a naked woman in a primeval garden and talked her into eating a piece of fruit. ~Keith Parsons
When men stop believing in God, it isn't that they then believe in nothing: they believe in everything. ~Umberto Eco
Christians don’t need to be born again, they need to grow up. ~John Shelby Spong
Life is not a problem to be solved, nor a question to be answered. Life is a mystery to be experienced. ~Alan Watts
Society is like a stew: If you don't stir it up every now and then, the scum rises to the top.~Edward Abbey
You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ~Buckminster Fuller
How thoughtful of God to arrange matters so that, wherever you happen to be born, the local religion always turns out to be the true one. ~ Richard Dawkins
I’m not saying there isn’t a god, but there isn’t a god who cares about people. And who wants a god who doesn’t give a shit? ~Robert Munsch
One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion. ~Arthur C. Clarke
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish. ~ Anon
When you understand why you dismiss all the other gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. ~ Stephen Roberts
Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning. ~ Joseph Campbell
The only true definition of an atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in God or gods. ~Oxford English Dictionary
You have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Faith is just another word for gullibility.
I sang as one / Who on a tilting deck sings / To keep men's courage up, though the wave hangs / That shall cut off their sun. ~C. Day Lewis
Browse The Categories
Browse The Archives
Books in the Freethinkers Library
What is a fact beyond all doubt is that we share an ancestor with every other species of animal and plant on the planet. We know this because some genes are recognizably the same genes in all living creatures, including animals, plants and bacteria. And, above all, the genetic code itself — the dictionary by which all genes are translated — is the same across all living creatures that have ever been looked at. We are all cousins. Your family tree includes not just obvious cousins like chimpanzees and monkeys but also mice, buffaloes, iguanas, wallabies, snails, dandelions, golden eagles, mushrooms, whales, wombats and bacteria. All are our cousins. Every last one of them. Isn't that a far more wonderful thought than any myth? And the most wonderful thing of all is that we know for certain it is literally true...
The whole world is made of incredibly tiny things, much too small to be visible to the naked eye — and yet none of the myths or so-called holy books that some people, even now, think were given to us by an all-knowing god, mentions them at all! In fact, when you look at those myths and stories, you can see that they don't contain any of the knowledge that science has patiently worked out. They don't tell us how big or how old the universe is; they don't tell us how to treat cancer; they don't explain gravity or the internal combustion engine; they don't tell us about germs, or anesthetics. In fact, unsurprisingly, the stories in holy books don't contain any more information about the world than was known to the primitive peoples who first started telling them! If these 'holy books' really were written, or dictated, or inspired, by all-knowing gods, don't you think it's odd that those gods said nothing about any of these important and useful things? -Richard Dawkins
Prayer seems to me a cry of weakness, and an attempt to avoid, by trickery, the rules of the game as laid down. I do not choose to admit weakness. I accept the challenge of responsibility. Life, as it is, does not frighten me, since I have made my peace with the universe as I find it, and bow to its laws… It seems to me that organized creeds are collections of words around a wish. I feel no need for such.
I know that nothing is destructible; things merely change forms. When the consciousness we know as life ceases, I know that I shall still be part and parcel of the world. I was a part before the sun rolled into shape and burst forth in the glory of change. I was, when the earth was hurled out from its fiery rim. I shall return with the earth to Father Sun, and still exist in substance when the sun has lost its fire, and disintegrated into infinity to perhaps become a part of the whirling rubble of space. Why fear? The stuff of my being is matter, ever changing, ever moving, but never lost; so what need of denominations and creeds to deny myself the comfort of all my fellow men? -Zora Neale Hurston
An atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that deed must be done instead of prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished, war eliminated. ~Madalyn Murray O'Hair, Founder
In the history of the world, the number of times a supernatural anything has been proven true is zero. Every god, ghost, spirit, devil, possession, and miracle ever claimed true is a lie. No exceptions. The number of times an atheistic (godless) argument has been proven wrong by a theistic argument is zero... In contrast, every time a theist-versus-atheist argument has been settled, an atheistic argument has won. This does not mean science is antireligion; it just means (or rather, strongly implies) religion is wrong... I challenge anyone to find any scientifically valid testable proof of anything supernatural, ever. If you can prove it, even once, I'll quit my job. I'm not nervous, as it has never been done in history, because it's ALL a lie. ~David Silverman, President
Local Organic Family Farms
THE SMALL ORGANIC FARM greatly discomforts the corporate/ industrial mind because the small organic farm is one of the most relentlessly subversive forces on the planet. Over centuries both the communist and the capitalist systems have tried to destroy small farms because small farmers are a threat to the consolidation of absolute power.
Thomas Jefferson said he didn’t think we could have democracy unless at least 20% of the population was self-supporting on small farms so they were independent enough to be able to tell an oppressive government to stuff it.
It is very difficult to control people who can create products without purchasing inputs from the system, who can market their products directly thus avoiding the involvement of mercenary middlemen, who can butcher animals and preserve foods without reliance on industrial conglomerates, and who can’t be bullied because they can feed their own faces. ~Eliot Coleman
Are The Heart
Of Free Communities
The only "hallowed halls"
I know of exist in
libraries and bookstores.
They saved my life. ~ ds
If you have a garden
and a library,
you have everything
you need. ~ Cicero