Fighting for the 99%
· No budget cuts to education and social services! Full funding for all community needs. A major increase in taxes on the rich and big business, not working people. The federal government should bail out states to prevent cuts and layoffs.
· Create living-wage union jobs for all the unemployed through public works programs to develop mass transit, renewable energy, infrastructure, health care, education, and affordable housing.
· Raise the federal minimum wage to $15/ hour, adjusted annually for cost of living increases, as a step toward a living wage for all.
· Free, high quality public education for all from pre-school through college. Cancel student debt. Full funding for schools to dramatically lower teacher-student ratios. Stop the focus on high stakes testing and the drive to privatize public education.
· Free, high quality health care for all. Replace the failed for-profit insurance companies with a publicly funded single-payer system as a step toward fully socialized medicine.
· A guaranteed decent pension for all. No cuts to Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid!
· Stop home foreclosures and evictions. For public ownership and democratic control of the major banks.
· A minimum guaranteed weekly income of $600/week for the unemployed, disabled, stay-at-home parents, the elderly, and others unable to work.
· Repeal all anti-union laws like Taft-Hartley. For democratic unions run by the rank-and- file to fight for better pay, working conditions, and social services. Full-time union officials should be regularly elected and receive the average wage of those they represent.
· No more layoffs! Take bankrupt and failing companies into public ownership and retool them for socially necessary green production.
· Shorten the workweek with no loss in pay and benefits; share out the work with the unemployed and create new jobs.
· Fight climate change. Organize mass protests and civil disobedience to block the Keystone XL oil pipeline, coal export terminals, and fracking. Massive public investment in renewable energy and efficiency technologies to rapidly replace fossil fuels.
· A major expansion of public transportation to provide low-fare, high-speed, accessible transit.
· Public ownership of the big energy companies. All workers in polluting industries should be guaranteed retraining and new living-wage jobs in socially useful green production.
Equal Rights for All
· Fight discrimination based on race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, and all other forms of prejudice. Equal pay for equal work.
· Immediate, unconditional legalization and equal rights for all undocumented immigrants.
· Build a mass movement against police brutality and the institutional racism of
the criminal justice system. Invest in rehabilitation, job training, and living-wage jobs, not prisons! Abolish the death penalty.
· Fight sexual harassment, violence against women, and all forms of sexism.
· Defend a woman’s right to choose whether and when to have children. For a publicly funded, single-payer health care system with free reproductive services, including all forms of birth control and safe, accessible abortions. Comprehensive sex education. Paid maternity and paternity leave. Fully subsidized, high-quality child care.
· Equal rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, including same-sex marriage.
Money for Jobs and Education, Not War
· End the occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan. Bring all the troops home now!
· Slash the military budget. No drones. Shut down Guantanamo.
· Repeal the Patriot Act, the NDAA, and all other attacks on democratic rights.
Break with the Two Parties of Big Business
· For a mass workers’ party drawing together workers, young people, and activists from workplace, environmental, civil rights, and women’s campaigns to provide a fighting, political alternative to the corporate parties.
· Unions and social movement organizations should stop funding and supporting the Democratic and Republican parties and instead organize independent left-wing, anti- corporate candidates and coalitions as a first step toward building a workers’ party.
Socialism and Internationalism
· Capitalism produces poverty, inequality, environmental destruction, and war. We need an international struggle against this system.
· Repeal corporate “free trade” agreements, which mean job losses and a race to the bottom for workers and the environment.
· Solidarity with the struggles of workers and oppressed peoples internationally: An injury to one is an injury to all.
· Take into public ownership the top 500 corporations and banks that dominate
the U.S. economy. Run them under the democratic management of elected representatives of the workers and the broader public. Compensation to be paid on the basis of proven need to small investors, not millionaires.
· A democratic socialist plan for the economy based on the interests of the overwhelming majority of people and the environment. For a socialist United States and a socialist world.