[Parents/Grandparents: Please don’t make your kid’s teachers buy this for their classrooms. Go in with other parents in your school and share this around… -DS]
Teachers – Adbusters’ Media Literacy Kit ($125) will inspire your high school students break out of the media consumer trance! Each kit includes:
- a lesson binder with photocopy-friendly removable sleeves
- a DVD chock full of images and video clips
- For a limited time: Get a FREE 1-year subscription to Adbusters magazine with purchase of the Media Empowerment Kit.
Designed as a flexible teachers’ aid, the kit features 43 lesson ideas, including personal challenges, group activities, discussion starters and eye-opening readings. Lessons are divided into three areas:
I. Explore Your Mental Environment
- NEW IDEA: What is the Mental Environment?
- BRAINSTORM: Explore Your Mental Environment
- NEW IDEA: Pollution of the Mental Environment
- FIELDWORK: Count the Ads in Your Mental Environment
- READING: The Tragedy of the Mental Commons
- ACTIVITY: The Mental Environment Index
- READING: Media Diet
- DISCUSSION: Is Your Identity Your Own?
- BEHIND THE ADS: The Truth About Tobacco
- BEHIND THE ADS: The Truth About Alcohol
- EPIPHANY: Mirror, Mirror on the Wall
- BEHIND THE ADS: The Beauty Industry
- DISCUSSION: Living in an Electronic Environment
- WAKE-UP CALL: Are You a TV Addict?
- PERSONAL CHALLENGE: Can You Give Up TV for One Week?
- Sample Letter to Parents
II. Explore Your Physical Environment
- EPIPHANY: How Many Brands…and Plants do You Know?
- DISCUSSION: Consumption and the Planet
- CALCULATION: How Big is Your Ecological Footprint?
- BEHIND THE ADS: How Cool Are Cars?
- ACTIVITY: Advertising and Food
- BEHIND THE ADS: Is Fast Food Cool?
- READING: Our Planet: A Summary of Assets
- BIG PICTURE: Are We Moving Forwards or Backwards?
- BIG PICTURE: Is Economic Progress Killing the Planet?
- PERSONAL CHALLENGE: Buy Nothing Day
- MANIFESTO: A Bill of Rights for Future Generations
III. Create Your Own Meaning
- ACTIVITY: The Pen is Mightier than the Sword
- ACTIVITY: A Message That Sticks
- ACTIVITY: Create A Poster
- ACTIVITY:The Art of Banner Making
- ACTIVITY: The Art of Spoof
- PRANK: Just the Ticket
- ECO-JAM: Seed Bombs
- ACTIVITY: How to Create a Print Ad: Stage I
- ACTIVITY: How to Create Your Own Print Ad: Stage II
- DISCUSSION: Who Owns the TV Airwaves?
- ACTIVITY: Make a Radio Uncommercial
- ACTIVITY: Free Speech Experiment, Lesson 1: Make a TV Spot
- ACTIVITY: Free Speech Experiment, Lesson 2: Develop the Concept
- ACTIVITY: Free Speech Experiment, Lesson 3: Make the Ad
- ACTIVITY: Free Speech Experiment, Lesson 4: Buy Airtime
- ACTIVITY: Free Speech Experiment, Lesson 5: Wrap It Up
- MANIFESTO: Media Carta