Mendocino Country & Environs
Gene Logsdon (RIP)
The Contrary Farmer
William Edelen (RIP)
The Contrary Minister
POPULAR POST SERIES
Voluntary Exits (Rational Suicide)
Ingersoll - Foundations of Faith
Thom Hartmann - Rebooting
Seven Myths of Industrial Agriculture
Dave Smith ~ Editor/Publisher
...a local history of community character...
The Contrary Musician
Shortcuts To Mastering Piano & Guitar
How Playing an Instrument
Benefits Your Brain
Creating music is a
random act of kindness
- Freethinker: Scott Dikkers, The Onion
- Pennsylvania school 10 Commandments marker to be removed due to FFRF lawsuit
- TODD WALTON: Little Men
- Three Decades Of Trump’s Russian Ties Exposed In One Democratic Coalition Report…
- Impeach the Indolent Imposter Now!
- Sunday Sermon: Immortality Of The Soul
- Sunday Song: Strawman
- The Catholic Church’s Cruel Response to Assisted Suicide in Canada…
- Church and State: The Children of Dogma
- TODD WALTON: Ignorance
- izzy on Impeach the Indolent Imposter Now!
- Mary on Sunday Sermon: Immortality Of The Soul
- TheFeatheredSleep on The Catholic Church’s Cruel Response to Assisted Suicide in Canada…
- izzy on Those Seven Savage Hitchens Carpet Bombs…
- db on Sunday Song: Overdrive
- db on WILLIAM EDELEN: Jesus and Wives
- Nosrman de Vall on Trump Infrastructure Plan Is Nothing But Privatization…
- palolo123 on Freethinker: Roll to Disbelieve — The Handbook
- izzy on WILL PARRISH: Stuart Bewley’s Outlaw Grows
- Bomani Sadiki on A message to those who claimed they suffered under President Obama…
Independent News & Blog Feeds
- Marching in BendUnlike me, my wife Trisha’s been “centered” her whole life long. The first-born girl, and second born child, of Chicago Irish Catholics on their way to having a dozen, after Trisha learned how to properly comb her own hair, she got put to work combing the next baby’s hair. Keeping babies safe, clean and happy: cooking, cleaning, washing, hanging clothes, iro […]
- Mendocino County Road Damages In The MillionsGetting Orr Springs Road reopened is a priority for Mendocino County Transportation Director Howard Dashiell, but he warns that making sure the solution will be safe is paramount. Orr Springs Road, oddly enough, is part of the Federal Highway System, as it connects major thoroughfares in the county. That means Dashiell can appeal for special […]
- Mendo’s Pot Program BudgetWe recently asked the County’s CEO office a few questions about how the County was handling the budget for the new medical marijuana permit program. Deputy CEO (and County Budget Specialist) Alan ‘The Kid’ Flora provided these extensive replies: AVA: We have been trying to follow the County’s plans to implement the new medical Cannabis […]
- Letters (March 1, 2017)I just spoke to Tom Lanphar of the State Department Toxic Substances Control regarding the dioxin contaminated soil and sediment removal from the mill site. This project will start in August and last at least 6 weeks with about 3000 cubic yards of soil dug up and removed by trucks to Kettleman City toxic dump and soils with lesser levels of dioxin will go to […]
- Map: Bomb Threats to Jewish Community Centers and Organizationsby Ken Schwencke and Al Shaw A timeline of bomb threats against Jewish Community Centers and other organizations
- Trump Said He Made $21 Million in Income From His New York Contracts. He Actually Made a Lot Less.by Derek Kravitz and Cezary Podkul When he was running for president last May, Donald Trump released 104 pages of details about his finances, including a claim that he earned nearly $21 million through contracts with New York City to run two skating rinks in Central Park and a Bronx golf course. Much of what Trump asserts remains unverified since he has thus […]
- Justice Department Changes Position on Texas’ Discriminatory Voter ID Lawby Jessica Huseman After arguing for nearly six years that Texas’ voter ID law intentionally discriminated against minorities, the U.S. Department of Justice has informed the other plaintiffs in the case it has abandoned that position. The decision comes one day before the DOJ and the other plaintiffs were scheduled to make their latest arguments against the […]
- 10 Years of Transition Network: The Early DaysFast forward to 2017. 10 years have flown past in a blur. Transition is now active in thousands of communities around the world, in over 50 countries….It has pioneered innovative approaches to developing a healthy organizational culture, and to the balance of inner and outer Transition. The post 10 Years of Transition Network: The Early Days appeared first o […]
- Thoughts on Pope Francis’ Laudato SiLaudato Si is already receiving both strong support and resistance. The resistance testifies to the radical nature of Francis’ renewal of the basic doctrine of the Earth and cosmos as God’s Creation. The post Thoughts on Pope Francis’ Laudato Si appeared first on Resilience.
- Debunking the “Hill’s Group” Analysis of the Future of the Oil IndustryEntropy is an important concept, but it must be correctly understood to be useful. It is no good to use it as an excuse to pander unbridled catastrophism. The post Debunking the “Hill’s Group” Analysis of the Future of the Oil Industry appeared first on Resilience.
- The Poetics of Protest and Prayer: Mary Ruefle on the Different Powers of the Voice Raised and the Voice Lowered"Cries and whispers. A bang or a whimper. Whatever the case, if we want to be heard, we must raise our voice, or lower it."
- Undersea: Rachel Carson’s Lyrical and Revolutionary 1937 Masterpiece Inviting Humans to Explore Earth from the Perspective of Other Creatures"Against this cosmic background the lifespan of a particular plant or animal appears, not as drama complete in itself, but only as a brief interlude in a panorama of endless change."
- A Muddle of Mind and MatterThe philosophy of Arthur Schopenhauer, which we’ve been discussing for the last two weeks, has a feature that reliably irritates most people when they encounter it for the first time: it doesn’t divide up the world the way people in modern western societies habitually do. To say, as Schopenhauer does, that the world we experience is a world of subjective rep […]
- The World as WillIt's impressively easy to misunderstand the point made in last week’s post here on The Archdruid Report. To say that the world we experience is made up of representations of reality, constructed in our minds by taking the trickle of data we get from the senses and fitting those into patterns that are there already, doesn’t mean that nothing exists outsi […]
- Okay, I had to admit – religion is just too absurdI had a student who admitted in class that she did not want to question her beliefs because she was afraid of what she’d discover.
- Religious ViolenceA religion does not simply exist in the fantasy of some of its enlightened followers, it also manifests itself in the real world.
- Are You Married? Do You Text Non-Spousal Members of the Opposite Sex? Why Do You Hate Jesus?TEXTING! We all do it -- and it just may be the world's greatest invention ever for people who hate talking on the phone or spelling out the word "you." But did you realize that your innocent texting habit could open the door to a brazen life of adultery and sin?
- One Anti-Science Resolution Breezes Through Indiana Senate; Another is Introduced in Alabama HouseIndiana passed a resolution, and Alabama has introduced a similar one, that reinforces "support of teachers who choose to teach a diverse curriculum." That's a fancy way of saying that teachers who chose to bring Creationism and Intelligent Design into their lessons about evolution should face no real consequences.
- Evangelical Leaders, Ignoring Everyone Suffering Under Trump, Declare 2017 the “Year of Good News”Spreading the word of Jesus while the world is on fire doesn't make anything better for the rest of us.
- Some of the GOP’s “Alternatives” to Planned Parenthood Don’t Offer Contraception Because JesusRepublicans routinely say they want to defund Planned Parenthood, but women shouldn't worry, because the non-abortion services that the group provides can easily be handled by federally qualified health centers (FQHCs). A new investigation shows that some of those alternatives don't offer a full range of contraceptive services.
- Nicaraguan Woman Dies After Being Thrown In a Fire to Rid Her Body of DemonsWithout religion, this woman would still be alive.
- What Would Christopher Hitchens Have Said About Donald Trump’s Administration?After taking multiple necessary shots of Johnnie Walker Black Label whisky, what would Christopher Hitchens have said about Donald Trump? A panel of people who knew Hitchens well, including his widow, shared their thoughts on a recent episode of Charlie Rose (guest-hosted by John Hockenberry).
- How to Talk with Your Kid about Abortion—Especially Your AbortionIn coming decades, better birth control like long-acting IUDs and implants may make elective abortion virtually obsolete. But for now, unsought pregnancy is still painfully common; over a million American women have an abortion each year. Women end pregnancies for … Continue reading →
- Confront Abortion Protestors with Bible VersesIt’s time to confront conception obsessed Bible-believers on their own terms, with language they understand. Imagine if anti-abortion protestors found themselves confronted with the Bible and Christianity’s highest values. At regular intervals throughout the year, the most conception-obsessed members of the Religious … Continue reading →
- Donald Trump’s Promise to “Destroy” the Law Restricting Churches’ Powers Is His Next Threat to Democracy and EqualityBy Adi Chowdhury “Trust me, the repeal of the Johnson amendment will create a huge revolution for conservative Christians and for free speech.” These words were uttered by Jerry Falwell Jr., the president of the notoriously pseudo-scientific and evangelical Liberty University . Falwell is an avid advocate for creationism and has amassed quite… Continue r […]
- The United Nations Must Strengthen Its Efforts for Defending Same-Sex MarriageBy Adi Chowdhury “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights…Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.” … Continue reading The U […]
- And Oh! They Cry Out, “Fix Me, Fix Me!”Another Christian has a bunch of ideas that he thinks will totally fix Christianity. Unfortunately, he's going at it all wrong.
- Ken Ham’s Bubble Maintenance.Creationist charlatan and serial liar-for-Jesus Ken Ham did a little bubble maintenance this week, and I want to show you how and why he did it.
- Faith and the Power of a Magic Feather“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” –Philippians 4:13 Growing up evangelical, no message featured more prominently in my understanding of the Christian life than this verse. After John 3:16, this verse tops just about everybody’s list of favorite Bible passages, rivaled only by the verse in Jeremiah that says “I know the [Read More...] […]
- Camp Quest Is Coming to Mississippi!If you know anything about camps in the region of the country where I live, you know that they’re almost uniformly religious in nature. Even the ones which conceal their religious affiliations tend to recruit from among the devout from whichever tradition the directors inhabit…which is fine, if that’s what you’re looking for. But what [Read More...]
- That Cool Robot May Be a Security RiskBy John Markoff In the coming age of robotics, many of those autonomous machines will be internet-connected and mobile. What could possibly go wrong? Significant security flaws were found in an examination of six home and industrial robots, according to a report to be released Wednesday by IOActive, a computer security consulting firm with headquarters in Se […]
- One Anti-Science Resolution Breezes Through Indiana Senate; Another is Introduced in Alabama HouseBy Hemant Mehta Senate Resolution 17 in Indiana passed this week on a 40-9 vote. While resolutions don’t always get attention because they’re usually symbolic in nature, this one is especially pernicious. It reinforces “support of teachers who choose to teach a diverse curriculum”… which is a fancy way of saying that teachers who chose to bring Creationism a […]
- We’re All Cucks NowIn this episode of the Waking Up podcast, Sam Harris speaks with David Frum about the presidency of Donald Trump. David Frum is a senior editor at The Atlantic. In 2001–02, he was a speechwriter for President George W. Bush. Twitter: @davidfrum
- Ask Me Anything #6In this episode of the Waking Up podcast, Sam Harris answers questions from listeners about his conversation with Jordan Peterson, the reaction to Milo Yiannopoulos at U.C. Berkeley, the “Muslim ban,” the echo chamber of social media, Trump’s lies, the value of the humanities, the ethics of ending aging, whether consciousness can be an illusion, evolution an […]
- Stoic advice column: I’m rich, is that a problem?[Stoicism is a practical philosophy, as Epictetus often reminds his students: “If you didn’t learn these things in order to demonstrate them in practice, what did you learn them for?” (Discourses I, 29.35) Accordingly, here is my “Stoic advice” column, a philosophically informed, hopefully useful, version of the classic ones run by a number of … Continue rea […]
- The Stoic PledgeStoicism is a philosophy of life aimed — like all Hellenistic philosophies, but also Buddhism, Confucianism, Christianity, and a number of others — at providing both a general framework and specific guidance on how to live. During the past two and a half years I’ve taken it pretty seriously, both in terms of studying ancient … Continue reading The Stoic Pled […]
- Deny, Deny, DenyBy Carl S ~ A few days ago, I purchased a fascinating book, “Leningrad: Siege and Symphony,” by Brian Moynahan. Since I'm very familiar with the “Leningrad Symphony,” as well as the siege of Stalingrad, the title grabbed my attention. If you are still a believer in God or prayer, you will be totally unprepared for the historical facts and first-person t […]
- Leaving your Religion? Come to a JOURNEY FREE RETREATLeaving your Religion? Come to a JOURNEY FREE RETREATReligious harm is real …. you can recover(it’s not the end of the world!!)March 10 - 13, 2017Oakland, CaliforniaLed by Marlene Winell, Ph.D., psychologist and author of Leaving the Fold: A Guide for Former Fundamentalists and Others Leaving Their Religion. Leaving your faith can create intense feelings […]
- State AGs Rally to Defend NY, Mass. Investigations of Exxon From Lamar Smith SubpoenasA group of 15 state attorneys general call on House Science Committee chair to withdraw his attack on legal state investigations. By Phil McKenna A coalition of 15 Democratic state attorneys general has urged Congressman Lamar Smith to withdraw subpoenas sent to the AGs of Massachusetts and New York seeking records related to their investigations of ExxonMob […]
- China's Carbon Emissions Falling, While Trump Points U.S. in Opposite DirectionForecasting a fourth straight year of stable or reduced emissions, China shows huge growth in clean energy as President Trump vows to promote fossil fuels. By Phil McKenna China said its CO2 emissions in 2017 will drop 1 percent from 2016, making it the fourth consecutive year of either zero growth or a decline in the country's emissions. See Also: U.S […]
- WATCH: Professor links die-offs on US West Coast to Fukushima radiation — “Nobody has any idea what to do about the continuing contamination” — River flowing under plant with “molten fuel on the bottom” and it’s going into ocean (VIDEO)
- “Emergency measures” taken at Fukushima plant after “unexpected dents” found on reactor building floor — Situation “much worse than expected” — Experts: It’s like a “burning house”… “I was shocked” by outcome… “Streaming of radiation” may be underway
There is NO EVIDENCE that the Bible is from or inspired by a God, or that either of these two man-made biblical scriptures -- foundational to Christianism -- is true:
Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." John 3:16: "For God so loved the world that He gave is only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." NONE.
Most Popular Posts...
The Religion of Usefulness
What Is Freethought?
The Meaning and Value of Freethought
Freethought Keeps On Winning
Lists of Freethinkers/Atheists
The Freethinker and The Improved Man
We are all Stardust...
We're The Lucky Ones
~A Guide To The Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy~
If I were not a Buddhist, I would most likely be a Stoic
Finding Meaning in a Purposeless Universe
Why Won't God Heal Amputees?
~Fundamentalism is the Tragedy of All Religions~
History Of Religion In Three Minutes
The Whole Christian Story in 101 Words
~Christianism: A Relationship Built On Threats~
Exoneration of Jesus Christ
Losing Faith: Yahweh or the Highway
Christianism Disproved Beyond a Reasonable Doubt
Psychological Harms of Bible Believing Christianism
Mondragon: The Loving Society That Is Our Inevitable Future
Living From Our Local Landscape and Countryside - Wendell Berry
The Idea of a Local Economy - Wendell Berry
The Work of Local Culture - Wendell Berry
Finding Meaningful Work - Dave Smith
Cesar Chavez: When Your Guru Goes Gaga - Dave Smith
~Embrace the Mystery~
~Mindfulness Without Religion~
Intelligence, Not the Bible, Is The Only Moral Guide
Religion Is The Root Of All Ignorance
An Organized Collection of Irrational Nonsense
Free of the Biblical God
Don't Mess With God
~Guide to all the Gods~
Alphabetical List of all the Gods
Where Is The Graveyard of Dead Gods?
~List of Religions and Spiritual Traditions~
~Guide to Christianist Denominations: Can you, gentle seeker, find the one true way in these 41,000 alternatives that teaches the exact infallible biblical truth and save your soul from the one true god's eternal damnation? Time's a'wasting...~
Guide to the 40 Best Atheist Arguments
God's Killings in the Bible
God Is Imaginary
Religion Is Terrorism
Christian History 101
An Open Letter To Jesus Christ
12 Really Bad Religious Ideas That Have Made The World Worse
What Leaving Religion Has Done For Me
Carl Sagan Took My Faith and Gave Me Awe
The 30-Second God Debate
Richard Dawkins: The God Delusion
A Christian and a Buddhist Walk Into A Cartoon
The bible has got to go...
Think you're headed for heaven? Think again...
Not Afraid of Burning In Hell
The 20 Basic Reasons To Abandon Christianism
Religion Is Not Only Mistaken, But Does More Harm Than Good - Valerie Tarico
More Valerie Tarico
Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason - Sam Harris
More Sam Harris
What Muslims Believe
Telling the Truth about the Holy Bible - Robert Ingersoll
How To Be Saved - Robert Ingersoll
The Great Infidels - Robert Ingersoll
Interactive Chart of Biblical Contradictions
Apology for Christianity
Let The Mystery Be
More Socialism — Less Capitalism
The Socialist Alternative
Why support independent, locally owned businesses?
The Local Multiplier Effect
The Dirty F@#*ing Hippies Were Right!
Summary of the Collapse of Industrial Civilization
Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so. ~Robert Ingersoll
If prayer actually worked, everyone would be a millionaire, nobody would ever get sick and die, and both football teams would always win. ~Ethan Winer
Every sensible man, every honorable man, must hold the Christian sect in horror. Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd, and bloody religion that has ever infected the world. ~Voltaire
The strongly religious fear our capacity for moral reasoning that does not require a magical, invisible deity. They fear our ability to be ethical without the threat of hell or the reward of heaven. They fear that our allegiance is not to this or that country, or this or that prophet, or this or that guru, but to humanity as a whole. ~Phil Zuckerman
The idea that God could only forgive our sins by having his son tortured to death as a scapegoat is surely, from an objective point of view, a deeply unpleasant idea. If God wanted to forgive us our sins, why didn’t he just forgive them? Why did he have to have his son tortured? ~Richard Dawkins
Small is beautiful, when small is skilled and dedicated. ~Gene Logsdon
It is the right of every rational adult to choose their time of death and that has NOTHING to do with how sick you are.~Exit International
All religions are lies and scams, and all believers are victims. ~David Silverman
We [atheists] have no martyrs, we have no saints. ~Christopher Hitchens
Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right. ~H L Mencken
I've observed that people tend to live at one of two extremes in the spectrum of life: those who live on the edge, and those who avoid the edge. Those who live on the edge are hanging out in the most dangerous and unstable places — yet they're also often the most powerful agents of change, because the edge is where change is happening; away from the edge, things are naturally unchanging. ~Thom Hartmann
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion. ~Jon Stewart
My 12th year was my most Christian and most boring year in my life. ~Chuck Berry
Come on. You just can’t come up with anything more ridiculous than someone who honestly thinks that all human woes stem from an incident in which a talking snake accosted a naked woman in a primeval garden and talked her into eating a piece of fruit. ~Keith Parsons
When men stop believing in God, it isn't that they then believe in nothing: they believe in everything. ~Umberto Eco
Christians don’t need to be born again, they need to grow up. ~John Shelby Spong
Life is not a problem to be solved, nor a question to be answered. Life is a mystery to be experienced. ~Alan Watts
Society is like a stew: If you don't stir it up every now and then, the scum rises to the top.~Edward Abbey
You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ~Buckminster Fuller
How thoughtful of God to arrange matters so that, wherever you happen to be born, the local religion always turns out to be the true one. ~ Richard Dawkins
I’m not saying there isn’t a god, but there isn’t a god who cares about people. And who wants a god who doesn’t give a shit? ~Robert Munsch
One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion. ~Arthur C. Clarke
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish. ~ Anon
When you understand why you dismiss all the other gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. ~ Stephen Roberts
Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning. ~ Joseph Campbell
The only true definition of an atheist: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in God or gods. ~Oxford English Dictionary
You have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Faith is just another word for gullibility.
I sang as one / Who on a tilting deck sings / To keep men's courage up, though the wave hangs / That shall cut off their sun. ~C. Day Lewis
Browse The Categories
Browse The Archives
Books of the Freethinkers Bible
What is a fact beyond all doubt is that we share an ancestor with every other species of animal and plant on the planet. We know this because some genes are recognizably the same genes in all living creatures, including animals, plants and bacteria. And, above all, the genetic code itself — the dictionary by which all genes are translated — is the same across all living creatures that have ever been looked at. We are all cousins. Your family tree includes not just obvious cousins like chimpanzees and monkeys but also mice, buffaloes, iguanas, wallabies, snails, dandelions, golden eagles, mushrooms, whales, wombats and bacteria. All are our cousins. Every last one of them. Isn't that a far more wonderful thought than any myth? And the most wonderful thing of all is that we know for certain it is literally true...
The whole world is made of incredibly tiny things, much too small to be visible to the naked eye — and yet none of the myths or so-called holy books that some people, even now, think were given to us by an all-knowing god, mentions them at all! In fact, when you look at those myths and stories, you can see that they don't contain any of the knowledge that science has patiently worked out. They don't tell us how big or how old the universe is; they don't tell us how to treat cancer; they don't explain gravity or the internal combustion engine; they don't tell us about germs, or anesthetics. In fact, unsurprisingly, the stories in holy books don't contain any more information about the world than was known to the primitive peoples who first started telling them! If these 'holy books' really were written, or dictated, or inspired, by all-knowing gods, don't you think it's odd that those gods said nothing about any of these important and useful things? -Richard Dawkins
Prayer seems to me a cry of weakness, and an attempt to avoid, by trickery, the rules of the game as laid down. I do not choose to admit weakness. I accept the challenge of responsibility. Life, as it is, does not frighten me, since I have made my peace with the universe as I find it, and bow to its laws… It seems to me that organized creeds are collections of words around a wish. I feel no need for such.
I know that nothing is destructible; things merely change forms. When the consciousness we know as life ceases, I know that I shall still be part and parcel of the world. I was a part before the sun rolled into shape and burst forth in the glory of change. I was, when the earth was hurled out from its fiery rim. I shall return with the earth to Father Sun, and still exist in substance when the sun has lost its fire, and disintegrated into infinity to perhaps become a part of the whirling rubble of space. Why fear? The stuff of my being is matter, ever changing, ever moving, but never lost; so what need of denominations and creeds to deny myself the comfort of all my fellow men? -Zora Neale Hurston
An atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that deed must be done instead of prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished, war eliminated. ~Madalyn Murray O'Hair, Founder
In the history of the world, the number of times a supernatural anything has been proven true is zero. Every god, ghost, spirit, devil, possession, and miracle ever claimed true is a lie. No exceptions. The number of times an atheistic (godless) argument has been proven wrong by a theistic argument is zero... In contrast, every time a theist-versus-atheist argument has been settled, an atheistic argument has won. This does not mean science is antireligion; it just means (or rather, strongly implies) religion is wrong... I challenge anyone to find any scientifically valid testable proof of anything supernatural, ever. If you can prove it, even once, I'll quit my job. I'm not nervous, as it has never been done in history, because it's ALL a lie. ~David Silverman, President
Socialist Alternative is the organization that spearheaded the campaign to elect Kshama Sawant to Seattle City Council, the first independent socialist elected in a major U.S. city in decades. We are a national organization fighting in our workplaces, communities, and campuses against the exploitation and injustices people face every day. We are community activists fighting against budget cuts in public services; we are activists campaigning for a $15/hour minimum wage and fighting, democratic unions; we are people of all colors speaking out against racism and attacks on immigrants, students organizing against tuition hikes and war, women and men fighting sexism and homophobia.
We believe the Republicans and Democrats are both parties of big business, and we are campaigning to build an independent, alternative party of workers and young people to fight for the interests of the millions, not the millionaires.
We see the global capitalist system as the root cause of the economic crisis, poverty, discrimination, war, and environmental destruction. As capitalism moves deeper into crisis, a new generation of workers and youth must join together to take the top 500 corporations into public ownership under democratic control to end the ruling elites’ global competition for profits and power.
We believe the dictatorships that existed in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe were perversions of what socialism is really about.
We are for democratic socialism where ordinary people will have control over our daily lives.
Local Organic Family Farms
THE SMALL ORGANIC FARM greatly discomforts the corporate/ industrial mind because the small organic farm is one of the most relentlessly subversive forces on the planet. Over centuries both the communist and the capitalist systems have tried to destroy small farms because small farmers are a threat to the consolidation of absolute power.
Thomas Jefferson said he didn’t think we could have democracy unless at least 20% of the population was self-supporting on small farms so they were independent enough to be able to tell an oppressive government to stuff it.
It is very difficult to control people who can create products without purchasing inputs from the system, who can market their products directly thus avoiding the involvement of mercenary middlemen, who can butcher animals and preserve foods without reliance on industrial conglomerates, and who can’t be bullied because they can feed their own faces. ~Eliot Coleman
Are The Heart
Of Free Communities
The only "hallowed halls"
I know of exist in
libraries and bookstores.
They saved my life. ~ ds
If you have a garden
and a library,
you have everything
you need. ~ Cicero