A Compilation of Christopher Hitchens’ Best Comebacks…
- The Carnage of Capitalism…
- How “Giftivism” Helped Turn a Tough Oakland Street Into a Close-Knit Community…
- How Would Socialism Work? And How Could It Help Stop Climate Change?…
- Richard Dawkins: Militant Atheism…
- We Don’t Need No Education…
- Life With Legal Weed…
- Working Anything but 9 to 5…
- William Edelen: Leviticus and Homophobics
- Russell Brand: Ferguson Protests: Where Do We Stand?
- Todd Walton: Zero Population Growth
- The ACLU Released A Terrifying Report On All The Military Weapons US Cops Have…
- Anatomy of Songs…
- Gene Logsdon: Love and Hate In the Chicken Coop
- ISIS Consolidates…
- How To Boycott Amazon and Shop in an Actual Bookstore… and Why You Damn Well Should…
- aithebettertengri on The Carnage of Capitalism…
- aithebettertengri on We Don’t Need No Education…
- Elaine on Working Anything but 9 to 5…
- ds on William Edelen: Leviticus and Homophobics
- Marylin George on William Edelen: Leviticus and Homophobics
- Chris on Will Parrish: The Imaginary World Of Phil Frisbie, Jr.
- barbara deutsch on Russell Brand: Ferguson Protests: Where Do We Stand?
- Michael Laybourn on Anatomy of Songs…
- williamjosephray on The ACLU Released A Terrifying Report On All The Military Weapons US Cops Have…
- hopedance on Anatomy of Songs…
- todd walton on Todd Walton’s Favorite Films
- izzy on William Edelen: Reflections On My Own Death
- Chris on Another Giant Nail in the Coffin of Psychiatry…
- aithebettertengri on William Edelen: Reflections On My Own Death
- ds on William Edelen: Reflections On My Own Death
Feeds: Mendo Island & Independent News
- Mendocino County Today: Wednesday, August 20, 2014AS OF AUGUST 19 at 7pm the Lodge Wilderness Fire had expanded only a little more to 12,535 acres but was up to 90% contained, about three frantic weeks after the lighning-strike that started it. No structures are threatened. No new injuries. The firefighting effort continues to wind down and has moved into final “mop […]
- Mendocino County Today: Tuesday, August 19, 2014Mopping Up; Fall Signs; Beebe Bubbling; Ambulance Fundraiser; Pitner Progress; Overflow Dumpsters; UFO Meeting; Supes Meeting; Duck Itch; Disfunction Junction; Catch of the Day; Budget Tour; Travel Away; Conman Caught; Password; PR Team; Hillary Hawk; Bad Example
- UFO Night at the GrangeUFOs: Their spiritual mission and role in coming world changes. A multi-media presentation offering a new and positive perspective of UFO/ET activity now increasing worldwide.
- Mendocino County Today: Monday, August 18, 2014Fire Contained; Creative Diversity; From Willits; Luxury Box; Hemp Farming; Catch of the Day; Apfel Witchhunt; Forest Cleanup; Nozz Abuse; Measure Z; Smoking Herbs; Trivial Minds; Trout Water; Seen Sean?
- The Transition Movement: Questions of Diversity, Power, and Affluence - Part 2This raises the question: To what extent can the Transition movement avoid the pain, hardship, and conflict historically associated with significant social movements...?
- Our Power climate gathering builds ‘roots to weather the storm’The campaign intends to accomplish two broad goals: end the era of extreme energy and implement a just transition to local, living economies.
- Community supported enterprise – how might that work?One of the REconomy Project’s aims is to find new ways that communities can provide support and investment to local enterprises, who in turn offer benefits back to the community – not just in terms of jobs – but also strengthened local resilience, minimal environmental impacts and fairer ways of trading and profit-sharing.
- The Shale Sugar LickA well known American comedian, Ron White, quips about the amount of sugar Americans eat by suggesting that certain restaurants install a sugar lick. Patrons can “belly up” and take their fill at the trough. Such an analogy might be apropos of some shale operators with regard to their addiction to debt.
- Where Oil Meets Water: Energy East an unacceptable risk to waterways
- Yemeni Government Pays Over $1m Compensation to Civilian Drone Strike Victims
- ACLU and Lambda Legal Ask Supreme Court to Reject Motion to Delay Virginia Marriages
- Amnesty International USA Calls for Investigation of Police Tactics in Ferguson
- Tokyo Press Conference: Gov’t is committing crimes against humanity; Fukushima children living in war zone and can’t leave — Childhood cancer developing much faster than Chernobyl; Rate now 14 times higher — Parent: “I’m revealing the reality of what’s going on… it’s only way to get rid of the criminals” (VIDEO)
- Experts: Plutonium and uranium flow into ocean from Fukushima — “Heavily contaminated” water is leaking out of plant — Melted fuel releasing hundreds of different radioactive materials — Officials refuse to investigate 90% of these (VIDEO)
- Nuclear Expert: Fukushima fuel suspected to be in ground… “it’s going to melt right down into the ground” when heat isn’t removed, that’s why these are so dangerous — Physician: “3 of Fukushima’s reactors melted through containment… the crisis is clearly ongoing” (VIDEO)
- Gov’t: Radiation level 60 km from Fukushima plant is as high as the most contaminated areas in Chernobyl — “Fukushima far exceeded any crisis previously encountered” — “A risk of destruction of the society” — Expert: “It’s unprecedented in scale and duration” (VIDEOS)
- With Wind Energy Prices at All-Time Lows, DOE Is Cautiously OptimisticWind electricity costs have dropped to about 2.5 cents per kilowatt hour, a highly competitive price in some parts of the country. By John H. Cushman Jr. With new wind power installations rebounding from last year's free fall, there's still a chance that wind could provide 20 percent of U.S. electricity by 2030, the Department of Energy projected o […]
- In 'After Water' Project, 12 Writers Imagine Life in Climate Change-Altered ChicagoEcoterrorists, saboteurs, orphans, activists muck through their separate realities. 'This project is terrifying—the idea of what the world would become.' By Hannah Robbins Four emaciated boys share a canteen of fresh water. They pass the stolen treasure around as they huddle on a raft made of broken furniture, drifting on toxic flood waters. The fu […]
- Wall Street Warned About $91 Billion of High-Risk Oil MegaprojectsTar sands, deepsea drilling and other projects would lose money if lower demand, CO2 restrictions or other factors forced crude prices below $95. By Elizabeth Douglass Critics of environmentally risky oil projects proposed for deep undersea and Canada's tar sands got new ammunition last week when a report labeled those ventures and others as the industr […]
- MIT Study: Climate Talks on Path to Fall Far Short of GoalsUnder countries' current climate pledges, greenhouse gas concentrations would exceed 530 or 580 parts per million by the end of the century. By John H. Cushman Jr. Experts at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology using a sophisticated computer model examined what they think is the most likely outcome of UN climate treaty negotiations and found that […]
- Remembering Skeptics We’ve Lost Over the Past YearAt The Amazing Meeting every year, there's a video presentation to remember notable skeptics, scientists, allies, and even "opponents" who have passed away since the previous meeting. This year's video, made by Daniel and Cheryl Loxton, is below:
- Followers of the Religion of Peace Behead Another U.S. JournalistIn 2012, James Foley, a freelance journalist for GlobalPost, Agence-France Presse, went missing in Syria and was presumed kidnapped. Today, he showed up in a video released by ISIS.CNN reports:
- If This Doesn’t Convince You That God Exists… Join the ClubChristian Joshua Feuerstein, whose embarrassing rant against evolution went viral earlier this year, is back with a new video in which he proves God's existence -- scientifically! -- in under three minutes.If his "logic" doesn't sway you, I'm sure the orientation of his camera will.
- When You’re a Christian, But Not Christian EnoughRedditor ThisDharmaBum writes:So I get a call from my mom, who is crying. She has been a Christian all her life, but hasn't attended church regularly since my folks split up 20 years ago. All the while she has remained Christian: praying, reading the Bible, etc.
Browse The Archives
UB Mission Statement
Living From Our Local Landscape and Countryside - Wendell Berry
The Idea of a Local Economy - Wendell Berry
The Work of Local Culture - Wendell Berry
Finding Meaningful Work - Dave Smith
Embrace the Mystery
Carl Sagan Took My Faith and Gave Me Awe
The 30-Second God Debate
Not Afraid of Burning In Hell
The 20 Basic Reasons To Abandon Christianity
Religion Is Not Only Mistaken, But Does More Harm Than Good
Mondragon: The Loving Society That Is Our Inevitable Future
Surely Something Will Save Us... - Thom Hartmann
Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason - Sam Harris
Telling the Truth about the Holy Bible - Robert Ingersoll
How To Be Saved - Robert Ingersoll
The Great Infidels - Robert Ingersoll
Interactive Chart of Biblical Contradictions
Why support independent, locally owned businesses?
The Local Multiplier Effect
The Dirty F@#*ing Hippies Were Right!
To be truly radical is to make hope possible, rather than despair convincing.” ~ Raymond Williams
Small is beautiful, when small is skilled and dedicated... There is so much artificial and plastic crap around, the human spirit yearns for the homespun and the real. ~Gene Logsdon→
I've observed that people tend to live at one of two extremes in the spectrum of life: those who live on the edge, and those who avoid the edge. Those who live on the edge are hanging out in the most dangerous and unstable places — yet they're also often the most powerful agents of change, because the edge is where change is happening; away from the edge, things are naturally unchanging. ~Thom Hartmann
What is not worth doing, is not worth doing well. ~Abraham Maslow→
Society is like a stew: If you don't stir it up every now and then, the scum rises to the top.~Edward Abbey
You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ~Buckminster Fuller→
How thoughtful of God to arrange matters so that, wherever you happen to be born, the local religion always turns out to be the true one. ~ Richard Dawkins
Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning. ~ Joseph Campbell
I sang as one / Who on a tilting deck sings / To keep men's courage up, though the wave hangs / That shall cut off their sun. ~C. Day Lewis
- !ACTION CENTER!
- Around Mendo Island
- Around the web
- Authoritarian Alert
- Aw, ya selfish greedy bastards ya
- Black Collar Crime
- BS Buzzer
- Christian Crock of the Week
- Class War
- Climate Change Series
- Dave Smith
- Freethinkers of Mendocino
- Garden Farm Skills
- Gene Logsdon Blog – The Contrary Farmer
- Guest Posts
- Industrial Agriculture
- James Houle
- Knuckle Dragger Alert
- Mendo Island News Service
- Mendo Island Transition
- Mendo Slaughterhouse
- Monopoly Capitalism Watch
- Organic Food & Recipes
- Patrick Ford Talks
- Please Lord, Save Us From Your Followers
- Robert Ingersoll Series
- Small Business Skills
- Social Security
- Stop Willits Bypass
- Thom Hartmann Rebooting Series
- Todd Walton
- Vote No on Measure A
- Walmart Blues Series
- Will Parrish
- William Edelen Blog – The Contrary Minister
Local Organic Family Farms
THE SMALL ORGANIC FARM greatly discomforts the corporate/ industrial mind because the small organic farm is one of the most relentlessly subversive forces on the planet. Over centuries both the communist and the capitalist systems have tried to destroy small farms because small farmers are a threat to the consolidation of absolute power.
Thomas Jefferson said he didn’t think we could have democracy unless at least 20% of the population was self-supporting on small farms so they were independent enough to be able to tell an oppressive government to stuff it.
It is very difficult to control people who can create products without purchasing inputs from the system, who can market their products directly thus avoiding the involvement of mercenary middlemen, who can butcher animals and preserve foods without reliance on industrial conglomerates, and who can’t be bullied because they can feed their own faces. ~Eliot Coleman
Are The Heart
Of Free Communities
If you have a garden
and a library,
you have everything
you need. ~ Cicero