- Patrick Ford Talks – Chapter 4: Preaching the truth
- Todd Walton: Failure
- Unmasked — The justifications for extreme inequality have collapsed…
- New Report Shows Edward Snowden’s Revelations Are Seriously Damaging U.S. Tech Firms Losing Billions…
- Introduction to AtheistTV featuring Dr. Madalyn Murray O’Hair…
- Thumbs Up for AtheistTV…
- 10 reasons to be hopeful that we will overcome climate change…
- Gene Logsdon: The Democratization of Agriculture
- Gross Inequality All Too “Normal” Under Capitalism…
- A struggle to save Europe’s soul from privatization…
- Sam Harris: Why Don’t I Criticize Israel?
- William Edelen: Reflections at Age 92
- We Only Get This One Chance… How Will You Make Your Life Extraordinary?…
- Christian Crock of the Week: What in god’s name are these fundamentalist idiots doing to these poor children?
- Dear Believer: Why do you believe?…
- PaulaMartin (@ItaiPaula) on Unmasked — The justifications for extreme inequality have collapsed…
- juan on Thumbs Up for AtheistTV…
- hruhs on Unmasked — The justifications for extreme inequality have collapsed…
- John Ford on Sam Harris: Why Don’t I Criticize Israel?
- aithebettertengri on Gross Inequality All Too “Normal” Under Capitalism…
- PaulaMartin (@ItaiPaula) on A struggle to save Europe’s soul from privatization…
- hruhs on A struggle to save Europe’s soul from privatization…
- hruhs on Sam Harris: Why Don’t I Criticize Israel?
- ds on Sam Harris: Why Don’t I Criticize Israel?
- olduncledave on Sam Harris: Why Don’t I Criticize Israel?
- Ann on Update: Hearing Postponed… Support Willits Bypass Activist Will Parrish in Court Thursday Morning 7/17/14…
- ds on Sam Harris: Why Don’t I Criticize Israel?
- Betty Benson on Sam Harris: Why Don’t I Criticize Israel?
- David Sheridan on Sam Harris: Why Don’t I Criticize Israel?
- hruhs on Sam Harris: Why Don’t I Criticize Israel?
Feeds: Mendo Island & Independent News
- Mendocino County Today: Friday, August 1, 2014Saturday Night Out; Chief Rumors; Roadside Plunge; Fire Update; Political Corruption; Grand Jurying; Burning Man; Catch of the Day; Willits Water Problems; The House; Firewood Program Ends
- Mendocino County Today: Thursday, July 31, 2014Confidential Incompetence & Cruelty; Laytonville Lightning Fires; Priest Penpals Prisoner; Prune Packer to Pros; No Water, No Fish; New Willits Medicopter; Catch of the Day
- We Want It AllLast week, a group of Mendo grape growers led by a Redwood Valley grape grower and PhD psychotherapist named Dr. Rudolph Light, announced that they would appeal the recent state appellate court's overturn of Mendo Judge Ann Moorman’s hometown ruling that the Water Board couldn't require local grape growers to devise their own plans to minimize fish […]
- Lost Coast RambleWe approach the twentieth anniversary of the wilderness trek of the two greatest radical journalists of our time: the late Alexander Cockburn and Bruce Anderson, editor and publisher of America’s Last Newspaper—Anderson Valley Advertiser. In September of 1994 Alexander and Bruce, along with the chair of the Counterpunch board, Joe Paff and his wife Karen […] […]
- Buenos Aires: Building a People-Friendly CityBuenos Aires is fast becoming one of the most admired cities in the world when it comes to reinventing streets and transportation.
- The Emerging Iranian-Turkish Energy PartnershipThe differences in energy outlooks between Tehran and Ankara have created a strong foundation for cooperation.
- People’s Climate March—Largest Climate March in World History—Launched in Times SquareScheduled for Sept. 21 in New York City, the People’s Climate March will coincide with September’s UN Climate Summit, where world leaders including President Barack Obama and Chinese President Xi Jinping will be in attendance in answer to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon summons to consult on climate change.
- Public Energy Art Kits Push Back Against ConsumerismYou have immense powers." That’s one of the messages of Post Carbon Institute's Public Energy Art Kit (P.E.A.K.) project.
- TV: Millions of fish dead at Oregon coast — “Craziest thing I’ve ever seen” — “You can’t blame people for being alarmed” — Aquarium: “It kind of looks like the apocalypse… especially big numbers… but this is a sign that anchovies are doing good” (VIDEO)
- Millions of fish found dead on California coast — 3 major fish kills in 2 weeks — Unidentified ‘goo’ floating nearby; Police clear out beach, call health officials to investigate (VIDEO)
- Tokyo Professor: Surges in airborne radioactive releases have gone on for years at Fukushima — Exceeded 25,000 times normal level — Radiation alarms sound for hours at plant — ‘Extensive’ areas being impacted (VIDEO)
- Report: “Worst he’s ever seen” says Alaska boat captain — Fishermen “talking about Fukushima… convinced it has something to do with it” — Salmon “not showing up… many have lesions or worms and parasites” — Crabs “more easily damaged… a lot of dead catch” — Herring, cod, halibut, pollock catches “dropping off cliff”
- IMF's Blunt Message to Nations: Raise Fossil-Fuel Taxes to Fight Climate Change'Many energy prices in many countries are wrong. They are set at levels that do not reflect environmental damage, notably global warming.' By John H. Cushman Jr. Countries all over the world, including the United States, should be collecting much higher pollution taxes on fossil fuels—stiff enough to reflect the long-term cost of global warming […]
- $1 Groupon Coupon for Rooftop Solar Energy Finds 800+ TakersThe discount was offered to customers in 15 states, and comes at a time of rising popularity of 'distributed' solar generation. By Zahra Hirji Over 800 people across the United States took advantage of a novel online deal to get a discount setting up solar panels on their rooftops. One of America's top solar companies, SolarCity, partnered wit […]
- Q&A: Why First Nations Are Stopping Enbridge's Tar Sands Pipeline'We're serious about our economy. We want to make sure that it's self-sufficient and doesn't harm the environment—so it lasts forever.' By Elizabeth Douglass British Columbia's First Nations have fought the proposed Northern Gateway oil sands pipeline that would cross their land for years, and they have no intention of letting u […]
- A Public Wiki Shines Light on North America's 4 Million Oil & Gas Wells'We're not doing anything the regulators can't do themselves if they were so inclined,' says the founder of WellWiki. By Lisa Song When residents of America's fracking communities want to know if a particular oil or gas well in their neighborhood has a good environmental track record, they usually face the cumbersome task of searchin […]
- Please Support the Work I Do Through This SiteOver the past couple of years, what began as a personal blog has turned into a hub with several contributors and multiple posts per day. As always, I'd like to continue expanding the reach of this site. That entails bringing on additional contributors with different voices, creating more YouTube videos, and making the podcasts sound more professional.(T […]
- Catholic Priest Accused of Sexual Abuse Still Heads up a Church in Lafayette, LouisianaWe usually complain when a Catholic priest accused of sexual abuse is transferred to a different church or quietly hidden out of sight.But in the case of Rev. Gilbert Dutel (below), he is still the pastor of St. Edmond Catholic Church in Lafayette, Louisiana and no one there seems to care.
- This North Carolina Diner Gives a 15% Discount to Customers Who Pray Before a MealWhen Jordan Smith visited Mary's Gourmet Diner in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, she made sure to pray before her meal as she always did. Nothing special there. But when the waitress brought her the receipt, there was a surprise on it: a 15% prayer discount:
- Even Though the IRS Will Now Investigate Politicking Churches, a Christian Group is Claiming Victory Over FFRFIn 2012, the Freedom From Religion Foundation sued the IRS because of the government agency's "failure to enforce electioneering restrictions against churches and religious organizations." Basically, churches were endorsing political candidates from the pulpit and the IRS wasn't doing anything to stop it. Part of the problem was that ther […]
Browse The Archives
UB Mission Statement
Living From Our Local Landscape and Countryside - Wendell Berry
The Idea of a Local Economy - Wendell Berry
The Work of Local Culture - Wendell Berry
Finding Meaningful Work - Dave Smith
Embrace the Mystery
Carl Sagan Took My Faith and Gave Me Awe
The 30-Second God Debate
Not Afraid of Burning In Hell
The 20 Basic Reasons To Abandon Christianity
Religion Is Not Only Mistaken, But Does More Harm Than Good
Mondragon: The Loving Society That Is Our Inevitable Future
Surely Something Will Save Us... - Thom Hartmann
Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason - Sam Harris
Telling the Truth about the Holy Bible - Robert Ingersoll
How To Be Saved - Robert Ingersoll
The Great Infidels - Robert Ingersoll
Interactive Chart of Biblical Contradictions
Why support independent, locally owned businesses?
The Local Multiplier Effect
The Dirty F@#*ing Hippies Were Right!
To be truly radical is to make hope possible, rather than despair convincing.” ~ Raymond Williams
Small is beautiful, when small is skilled and dedicated... There is so much artificial and plastic crap around, the human spirit yearns for the homespun and the real. ~Gene Logsdon→
I've observed that people tend to live at one of two extremes in the spectrum of life: those who live on the edge, and those who avoid the edge. Those who live on the edge are hanging out in the most dangerous and unstable places — yet they're also often the most powerful agents of change, because the edge is where change is happening; away from the edge, things are naturally unchanging. ~Thom Hartmann
What is not worth doing, is not worth doing well. ~Abraham Maslow→
Society is like a stew: If you don't stir it up every now and then, the scum rises to the top.~Edward Abbey
You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ~Buckminster Fuller→
How thoughtful of God to arrange matters so that, wherever you happen to be born, the local religion always turns out to be the true one. ~ Richard Dawkins
Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning. ~ Joseph Campbell
I sang as one / Who on a tilting deck sings / To keep men's courage up, though the wave hangs / That shall cut off their sun. ~C. Day Lewis
- !ACTION CENTER!
- Around Mendo Island
- Around the web
- Authoritarian Alert
- Aw, ya selfish greedy bastards ya
- Black Collar Crime
- BS Buzzer
- Christian Crock of the Week
- Class War
- Climate Change Series
- Dave Smith
- Freethinkers of Mendocino
- Garden Farm Skills
- Gene Logsdon Blog – The Contrary Farmer
- Guest Posts
- Industrial Agriculture
- James Houle
- Knuckle Dragger Alert
- Mendo Island News Service
- Mendo Island Transition
- Mendo Slaughterhouse
- Monopoly Capitalism Watch
- Organic Food & Recipes
- Patrick Ford Talks
- Please Lord, Save Us From Your Followers
- Robert Ingersoll Series
- Small Business Skills
- Social Security
- Stop Willits Bypass
- Thom Hartmann Rebooting Series
- Todd Walton
- Vote No on Measure A
- Walmart Blues Series
- Will Parrish
- William Edelen Blog – The Contrary Minister
Local Organic Family Farms
THE SMALL ORGANIC FARM greatly discomforts the corporate/ industrial mind because the small organic farm is one of the most relentlessly subversive forces on the planet. Over centuries both the communist and the capitalist systems have tried to destroy small farms because small farmers are a threat to the consolidation of absolute power.
Thomas Jefferson said he didn’t think we could have democracy unless at least 20% of the population was self-supporting on small farms so they were independent enough to be able to tell an oppressive government to stuff it.
It is very difficult to control people who can create products without purchasing inputs from the system, who can market their products directly thus avoiding the involvement of mercenary middlemen, who can butcher animals and preserve foods without reliance on industrial conglomerates, and who can’t be bullied because they can feed their own faces. ~Eliot Coleman
Are The Heart
Of Free Communities
If you have a garden
and a library,
you have everything
you need. ~ Cicero